• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suggestion To Admin: HTTPS/SSL Encryption

Henry's Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Henry
Just noticed this:

Here's a really nice website to understand how SSL/HTTPS works:
Why do we need HTTPS? - How HTTPS works

I'm sure XenForo encrypts passwords automatically, but without SSL we all could be in trouble at a cafe with a hacker there.

Let's Encrypt is a free SSL (funded by security maniacs), so if you aren't up to pay, I personally use LE, and it's just as good as a paid certificate.

Is not having it detrimental to the website? No, as long as you secure the passwords well where ever you have them stored and hashed.

Is it necessary? Yes, I'd say so. It's free as well.

Thanks!

Love,
Henry <3

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just got a new laptop and when I signed on I was notified immediately with the same message.

Henry's Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Henry
Bumping this. This is important for safety of members. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My understanding is that Let's Encrypt only lasts for 3 months at a time and then needs to be renewed?

Henry's Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Henry
It's chromes new browser updates. The forum has not changed it's settings.

If you are not posting your credit card or private information.... your not to worry. ;)
Our passwords could be snatched if we're using public WiFi though... :(

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Our passwords could be snatched if we're using public WiFi though... :(
Public Wi-Fi is dangerous no matter what you're doing.

Why would someone want my password (which is only used for this site) to a bird forum? Pretty small target. Not worth the time.

I understand though that Google is really pushing SSL for the greater good. They also said they will rank secure sites higher.

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
I guess that predators would still be interested in forum passwords as people do use repeated passwords for other accounts on different websites or services. They could just obtain email and forum passwords and test it on another site.

Henry's Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Henry
I guess that predators would still be interested in forum passwords as people do use repeated passwords for other accounts on different websites or services. They could just obtain email and forum passwords and test it on another site.
Correct. They can use a turbo or an account checker such as MBA Sentry with any email:password or username:password DB.

Henry's Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Henry
Public Wi-Fi is dangerous no matter what you're doing.

Why would someone want my password (which is only used for this site) to a bird forum? Pretty small target. Not worth the time.

I understand though that Google is really pushing SSL for the greater good. They also said they will rank secure sites higher.
It doesn't take too long to set up LE and why wouldn't you want to protect the password anyways?
Although it may be a small target, some may see it as a vulnerability and use it to their advantage.

Yes, public WiFi is no bueno. Always use a VPN at cafes guys and gals :)