• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suddenly biting

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
Im not really sure why but toto has begun to bite.... a LOT! Its not really hard bites but it sure is often (usually a string of bites in a row) Im not sure whats caused this, He was totally normal yesterday but he's acting really agitated today, A lot of bites & screaming. Im still not sure how to react to bites because I've heard so many conflicting things, I'd like to know why he's biting because i can't find any reasons, Everything is the same as it usually is:confused:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Some of us think this kind of behavior could be hormone related. Make sure he is getting 12 hours of sleep (darkness) which can lessen hormone surges. Don't pet him if you do. No warm soft foods. This is Springtime! Remember this will pass and you will have your sweet boy back again.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
How long have you had him?

You need to provide a lot more info. Such as what exactly are you doing when this happens and where is it happening?

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
@JLcribber I've had him for a couple weeks (5 or 6 i believe) He will bite occasionally when i ask him to step-up and sometimes just when he's sitting on my hand, Its just a couple angry outbursts and then he stops for like an hour and he does it again

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Could be he is just testing you since he is new to you. How old?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I would say the honeymoon is ending. He is not changing. He is changing "back" into the bird he is and you are just now beginning to see his true character. Welcome to parronthood. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A bird can't bite you if you don't provide the opportunity.

You asked for a step up (which also presents your flesh as a target). He did not step up. He said no. You did not listen and pull away and try again in a moment. You didn't get it. He bit you.

Last edited:

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
@JLcribber Thats true. It would be nice if i was a better at learning from him! It takes me awhile to catch on.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Linnies have a reputation to be hand shy. My two sure we're. Try training him to step up on a perch you are holding with a bit of millet in that hand too. Don't push it though. Let him come to the perch.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Oh I assumed it was the bird in your aviator. Oops!