1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sudden Screaming!

Discussion in 'Pionus Pointe' started by Nostromo, 1/6/19.

1. Nostromo

Nostromo Meeting neighbors

Whew!!! My sweet, usually quiet Zeph has decided to show me today what those little lungs can do... dang. Got my earplugs in now but that first KACK! KACK! KACK! KACK! had me nearly falling out of my chair :scared4::lol:

My poor dog has been panicking for the last hour and hiding under the table. This is the first time she's ever screamed like this (had her 6 months, she's 8.5 years old) and she's done it three times today!! She's out of her cage, just playing around on top and then boom, starts to screech. My guess is it's because my boyfriend, her chosen person, has been on a business trip the past three days. Add to that we boarded her over Christmas. So she's maybe feeling a little abandoned. I've been trying not to react (but OUCH it's hard! haha) and then whistling at her when she's being quiet... I also closed the blinds in case she saw something scary outside. Maybe I'll put a book on tape to give her (and me) something to listen to.

Anyways, just wanted to say WOW, I feel like a real parrot owner now :batonthehead:

hrafn, Jas and sunnysmom like this.
  2. hedylarue

hedylarue Meeting neighbors

My Pi screams like a nuclear fallout alarm and he does it at least once a day. My husband and I are constantly saying we must have the loudest Pi on the planet. Typically his tantrums don't last more than 15 minutes...which sounds long, but in the parrot world is not long..lol.

Jas and Nostromo like this.
  3. Nostromo

@hedylarue I'm glad to hear that it's within the realm of normal! And sorry for your ear drums! I know I am so spoiled to be crying about 3 or 4 shrieks in the total of six months :rolleyes: but boy it did wake me up! haha. My boyfriend came home late last night and Zeph was beside herself... she seems much happier today!

Jas likes this.
  4. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Dianne
    BirdField and Sylvester like this.
  5. Nostromo

@Lady Jane I've read this, thank you! I also have a background in ABA for children with autism, so I'm familiar with the "avoid reinforcement at all costs" for non-functional behaviors. So I just pretended like nothing was happening. I think the real issue was that she missed her person though, and unfortunately that's one that I can't solve when he has to go!

Eloy, BirdField and Lady Jane like this.
  6. Mockinbirdiva

Mockinbirdiva Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran

Andrea
    It's a good time to create a distraction that doesn't equal a reward. Giving my male amazon something to do before I started to clean his cage has really settled the "beast" in him. Usually food to forage for or a chunk of wood to destroy. I've discovered the boxes I order stuff for them is more fun than a toy or wood.

Eloy and hedylarue like this.
  7. hedylarue

A couple of things that I've noticed help Kody's mood:

Lots of sleep...at least 12 hours but sometimes I think he really needs more.

Alone time during the day. Sometimes I think he gets overstimulated because he'll want to go be alone in another room and rest for a bit. He'll literally fly into the bedroom and sit there for an hour by himself...he comes out when he's ready to face the world again. If he's having a screaming fit sometimes I'll put him in another room and see if he's needing some "Kody" time. If he comes back out in a few minutes, he's usually forgotten whatever he was screaming about.

Baths! If he hasn't had a spray bath in a few days I think he starts getting a bit itchy. I notice the days he takes baths that he is usually in a great mood! So if he's crabby and it's been a few days I give him a spray down. He lets me know if he's not into it. Sometimes I can't believe how much a bath can change his mood! It's possible it cools down his hormonal flares too...I know male Pis are pretty infamous for being hormonal and moody.

And I agree with distractions...I know what usually sets him off so I'll give him some nuts or foot toys and sometimes that helps.

But he still screams at least once a day...lol! He makes a quacking noise that I can tolerate but that nuclear fallout alarm noise...OMG....if you ever hear it you will know what I mean...I can't believe that little guy can make a sound like that!! I wonder if the females can even make that sound. Luckily it doesn't go on for more than a few minutes at a time.

Eloy and Nostromo like this.
  8. Nostromo

@hedylarue this is all great advice! I think her sleep might have been a little disrupted, and she definitely was in need of a shower. Especially with the heater on during the night, which I'm sure dries her out even more than usual. So far she hasn't screamed again and seems totally back to her silly, quacking, inquisitive self, and she is a very happy girl to have her husband (AKA my boyfriend) back from his trip. Although our smoke detector did start doing a low-battery beep and she was imitating that :laughing2:

I'm hoping the screaming remains a rare event, but it'll be good to have a few tools and ideas to start with should any difficult behaviors crop up in the future.

As for the quality of the scream... it was stunningly loud, although we have a pretty quiet house, so part of it was just how jarring the sound was. But it was definitely on par with some of the screams I've heard from the macaws at the parrot store (I'm sure that's just everyday macaw level noise though, haha). She would be chirping and suddenly beginning bobbing up and down and screaming: a rough, high-pitched, nails-on-a-chalkboard KACK! sound, maybe three or four in a row in quick succession, then quiet for an hour or so.

Last edited: 1/10/19
  9. hedylarue

@Nostromo Kody does the smoke alarm with low batteries too!! The funny thing is that he ONLY does it when we leave the house and he's alone so it took a few weeks of me running back into the apartment to check the smoke alarm before I finally realized it was him all along!

10. Eloy

Eloy Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

J.T
    They are much louder. And I have two.. (yes I have earplugs)

Many of those loud screaming is because of anxiety in some kind of way.
    Pionus are very sensitive parrots, so less sleep, a change in their daily routine or anything else they don't like they scream more.
    And they often do that the day after something has happen to them.

When it comes to screaming you must find out what kind of scream it is.
    At the moment both mine are hormonal, and when they are they are more sensitive.
    So when they scream I often answer back.
    It is only screaming for attention I ignore, but both mine don't scream for attention, they scream when something is bother them or to warn me for something.
    So just to reply, - Yes I also saw that big hawk, or to go near and talking to them in soft and calm voice is helping.
    To ignore if something is bother them or if they alert something dangerous will make you to a very bad flockmember.

BirdField likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)