• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Success!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
So today was a magical day. As some of you may know I bought Barbara Heidenreich's eBook "Training your parrot to step up" and I read the whole thing and watched the 30 minute video. Well today I target trained Iggy (he got the hang of it real fast!) after that I decided well since we were doing that why not start doing step up as well. I then put the target on my wrist and told him "Target." He went to the target and onto my hand and I praised him, clicked, and gave him millet. After a while of doing that on his standing perch I decided well let's go to his cage and see if he'll do it for me on his cage and to my surprise he got the hang of it!!!! OFF HIS CAAAAAGGGEEE!!!! That was the place I was having the most difficult time with. He is stepping up from his cage now. I am so excited. I was training him for about an hour. I am going to keep training him every day so he doesn't forget or just doesn't want to do it anymore. But today was such a great day. I am so proud of my baby boy! I cannot believe he stepped up from his cage!! I have been trying so hard for months and very little results and now after taking Barbara Heidenreich's advice Iggy is on his way to stepping up every day for me!!

Here is a picture of him on my arm after he stepped up from his cage! =)

Last edited:

Tyger

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
YAY!!!! :dance5: I am so excited for you. Glad you found a method that is working for Iggy! :highfive:

tammie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tammie
That's great!! You're doing a great job and he is gorgeous too!

Ranyart

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pennie
How exciting! Good for you for looking for and finding a way. Have fun!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
:yah: great work!
beautiful view too!:D

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
That is SO incredibly awesome! Way to go IGGY!!! Birds are so smart...we just have to catch up :)

HungryBird

That's wonderful! I'm so glad that it worked! Good thing you kept trying different things and didn't give up!

HelenVanessaDavies

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
YAY :dance4:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!

quakingcanopy

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
That's wonderful news! I bet your heart just swells with excitement!! I know every little step forward that Darwin and I make means the world to me :heart::heart::heart:

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Well done Amy :D

A couple of suggestions; Always try and end the training session on a high, and keep the training sessions short (try and read the body language for when Iggy starts to lose interest and stop on the next positive).

:laughing12:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
So happy for you and Iggy!! I have a couple of Barbara's videos. I need to watch them and use them!

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
Well done Amy :D

A couple of suggestions; Always try and end the training session on a high, and keep the training sessions short (try and read the body language for when Iggy starts to lose interest and stop on the next positive).

:laughing12:
Thanks!! I will take that info and use it. =) I was actually surprised the Iggy let me train him for an hour. Usually he gets tired and bored after 15 minutes. lol He didn't seem bored or tired during this hour though. So what ever I was doing must have been entertaining!

Status
Not open for further replies.