• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stupid Question

Thebatman

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Hi, this is a silly question, but can birds, specifically parakeets and green cheek conures, have sun buttter, or peanut butter? Or any nut butters? If so, how would you feed it to them? Thanks!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Definitely not a silly question...I wondered this myself as I am always afraid oatmeal or nut butter will stick in their crop and turn cement-like. (Just another paranoid parront - LOL)

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I wouldn't use peanut butter.... but other nut butters probably fine? Especially organic kind without any extra added stuff in them! (I know some do add extra things)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Peanuts are not nuts, they are peas or legumes. They do not grown on trees, they grow underground. Very different chemises between nut butters and peanut butter.

I feed oatmeal at least twice a week as the warm morning grain; sometimes with a little sugar or oatmeal and nuts mixed in, sometimes with nut butter mixed in or rpo. My birds love oatmeal; and it does not freeze up inside them.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Peanuts are not nuts, they are peas or legumes. They do not grown on trees, they grow underground. Very different chemises between nut butters and peanut butter.

I feed oatmeal at least twice a week as the warm morning grain; sometimes with a little sugar or oatmeal and nuts mixed in, sometimes with nut butter mixed in or rpo. My birds love oatmeal; and it does not freeze up inside them.
How do you prepare your oatmeal?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
One cup long cooking oats (instant oats are nutritional crap), two cups COLD water. Either cook for two minutes in microwave, stir and cook again one more minute... Or, bring to a boil on stove top, turn heat down to simmer for about four minutes... No matter how you cook it, then cover, remove from heat and allow to sit at least ten, better five minutes, stir to distribute remaining heat. Add sugar, nut butter, or pro, stir again to blend. Serve when you can put a bare, clean finger into the porridge and leave it there without pain. I serve on paper plates as a foraging food and may or may not add fruit, nuts, etc.

Thebatman

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Thanks! What brand of oatmeal do you use?