• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Stuffed Squash Blossoms!

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
I really like squash. Rhubarb really likes the seeds. And so I decided to plant a bunch of different varieties this spring.
Squash.png
They seem to be doing well. :)

Since I have so many plants (2-3 of each variety), I have a ton of squash blossoms. For those of you who haven't grown your own squash before they make two kinds of flowers:
Flowers.png
As you could maybe guess from the pictures, squash plants make many more male flowers than female. Once their job is done (providing pollen for the female flowers), the male flowers twist up and fall off the stem. I started exploring how to make stuffed squash blossoms for the humans in our house. Why let all those tasty blossoms go to waste?

Then I realized that Rhubarb might like some stuffed blossoms of her own. Here's my (experimental) recipe for the filling:
Recipe.png
(I used a tablespoon for the "parts" but you can scale it however you like! Also, don't forget to remove the pit from the date.)

Then it was time to mix up the ingredients. I used a pastry cutter and added just enough water to make it stick together.
Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 3.41.58 PM.png

Next it was time for stuffing some blossoms! I picked mostly already-bloomed male flowers (the five on the right) but did include one that was still fully open (leftmost flower). Then I worked a small spoonful of stuffing into each blossom. In the flowers that were already starting to wilt I twisted the petals back together.

Stuffing.png
I only used about 1/4 of the stuffing but I didn't want to make more than she could eat/shred in a day. So I stopped at three flowers, sealed the rest of the stuffing in a plastic bag and put it in the fridge.

Now it was time for Rhubarb to see the new food!
Note: I've been giving her squash blossoms in her morning fresh food for awhile now. This is just the first time she's experienced them full of yummy goodness!

And once she saw the goodies inside, oh did she ever love them!
Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 4.20.42 PM.png
Nom, nom!
Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 4.23.58 PM.png

Hopefully this gives you some ideas for your own medium/large birdies! For the littles, you could try some of the smaller edible flowers like lavender, nasturtiums or pansies.
Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 4.46.37 PM.png

If you give it a try, please post pictures of your birds enjoying their tasty stuffed flowers!

Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 4.37.32 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Great idea!

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:pinklol3: This was an awesome thread :cantwait:

Thanks for sharing it with us :D

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awesome! Thanks for sharing! Humans enjoy stuffed squash flower recipes too!;)

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
What a great idea, thanks for sharing! I've been letting the flowers go to waste, I'm going to pick a handful and make some birdy treats right now :)

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Very creative and awesome idea!! :)

zvezdast

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Impressive!!!
Great idea of stuffing the flowers, and kudos for the gardening!

I only experimented with nasturtium flowers. I read that they are edible and they look pretty, so I planted some - but my bird didn't care for them.

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I also like squash...but because the plants are so large and I have limited space to grow anything, I do not grow any. :(

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
How fun! Thanks for all the great pictures.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
I only experimented with nasturtium flowers. I read that they are edible and they look pretty, so I planted some - but my bird didn't care for them.
I also tried naturtium flowers with Rhubarb earlier this year. She mostly liked to rip off the petals but the spicier green bits she wouldn't touch (the leaves have a mild horseradish-like nip).

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
That went down well :)
I stuffed them with finely chopped puha, broccoli, capsicum, a few oats and passionfruit seeds.
Thank you for the pictures! Are your birds usually quick to try new foods? Sometimes it can take my tiny cockatoo more than a week to taste test something... Although she'll sneak bites off a human plate any chance she gets! Oh how I wish hubby hadn't let her try rice with mango-salsa meatballs! :roflmao:

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
I also like squash...but because the plants are so large and I have limited space to grow anything, I do not grow any. :(
My garden is really quite small... Mostly a strip about 18" (0.5 m) wide along the patio! This is my first year to try companion gardening... The idea is that plants of different kinds are grown together because they benefit one another. Like corn with beans and squash or tomatoes with basil and peppers. I also put in some small white flowers to attract pollinators and parasitic wasps (they kill caterpillars). So far so good, with minimal insect damage and no pesticides used: image.jpg
(I was planning to start a post about the garden but haven't found the time quite yet!)

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
You make very good use of space! I plant most of my stuff in "earthbox" planters - I have better results than just planting in the ground. Maybe next year - I will try some squash plants in them.

Your garden looks very nice - plants look great :)

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
My little munchkins are stomachs on wings, they will try almost anything they are offered by hand as long as it is smaller then them. They won't necessarily like it though. Sapphire was terrified of the dragonfruit I brought home recently until I chopped it up, then she was all over it.
She use to be utterly fearless of novel objects, but has been quite cautious lately, which I am very disappointed about. She is also not so at home when we take her to new places, she formerly explored any new place the moment she got there. She will be 2 in August.