• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stubborn birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindsey88

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
lindsey
Well at least my bcc is. He hasn't really tried anything new that i've put in his cage. Any suggestions? I've tried all kinds of friuts and veggies chopped up and put in his cage, the only thing he might nibble on was the apple. Some days he will eat it other days he completely ignores it. He absolutely LOVES nutriberries. He will not touch a pellet. I have tried zupreem and Harrisons. He throws them onto the floor of the cage and only eats the seeds. I've only had him a couple months and his entire life before me the only thing his owner EVER gave him was the seed mix from wal mart.
My gcc seems to me more open to trying new foods but he won't touch the pellets either he makes it a game of throwing them onto the cage floor as well. Any tips or suggestions you can give me to get my guys to eat? My amazon is the best eater, he took to his pellets right away and eats lots of fresh foods.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
It usually takes a while for them to come around when it comes to new foods. Have you ever tried to use a skewer with fresh foods on it? My Grey was never one to eat his fresh foods out of a bowl very well so I recently tried the skewer and he loves it. I've been putting peppers, apples, grapes, carrots, corn etc on it and its gone by the time I get home from work! My Amazon on the other hand, forget it. She looks at me like I'm crazy!

My GCC's LOVE Roudybush pellets. They took right to them with no problem!

Lokums

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mike
This may sound harsh, but he won't ever switch to something if he has his favorites available, so perhaps only give him the stuff you would like him to eat. He will try it and find new things he will like. With that said though, I am guilty of this as well, my B&G won't eat any vegetable that isn't either hidden in birdy bread or is spelled y-a-m. Not even dried veggies get his attention.

My wife purchased some organic human baby veggie treats, they are dry, crunchy and have a lot of vitamins in them from whole foods or sunflower market or somewhere like that. He will eat those, I purchased some carrot and spinach noodles, he eats those too, but they don't have a lot of veggie goodness in them, but some is better than none. Take a look at the baby food isle at your store, there are plenty of unsweetened yums that can also be given to your birds. Many of them have very little nutritional value so make sure you read the labels until you find one that does.

He does eat some beans, some cooked grains (no sprouts), pretty much any fruit and birdy corn bread (not regular bread) and the drier the better. I have found that 'hiding' stuff he doesn't like in stuff he does like won't work, he just digs the yums out. I tried making carrot (he won't eat them) and sweet potato mash then rolled them in quaker oats (loves those). Yeah.... he ate the oats out of the top, then made a mess of the mash stuff trying to separate the carrot from the yam. Sigh...

Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.