• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Stringy poop?

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
I have two seemingly healthy linnies. Linnies have wet messy poop, but lately it has become a bit ropey. Color is ok, and no blood or mucus. The urates are still there, and the frequency of poop has not changed. We only got these guys less than a year ago, so I don't have a ton of experience yet. They seem to be moulting a bit if that's relevant.

I can post a poop picture if that would help.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
post picture

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
What are they eating?

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
They are eating Harrison's and zupreem natural pellets. The poop has gone normal now - seems kind of off and on these last few days. Will post a photo as soon as I can get one. Wondering if it has something to do with consuming more keratin or feather with the extra grooming that's going on lately.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Sometimes it can get that way (looser stools) when they eat fruits or veggies. Glad it is back to normal.

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
Got another "off" poo. Linnie poop is normally a wet pile/puddle. IMG_0744.JPG

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Got another "off" poo. Linnie poop is normally a wet pile/puddle. View attachment 248705
I would say this is a more normal poo than your described wet pile/puddle. It should be well defined like in the pic above.

and it's on some kind of moisture absorbing medium which would suck the water right out of it.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Spot gets those every once in awhile in addition to what you're describing as "wet" poops. Just keep an eye on them, if their activity and appetite is the same I think they're okay.

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
Moist poop is a Linnie thing. You will find reference to it on almost any website or caresheet you read. Their poop has been moist and messy for the last 8 months. This is a sudden change. I just don't know what would be causing this and if I need to be concerned...

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Moist poop is a Linnie thing. You will find reference to it on almost any website or caresheet you read. Their poop has been moist and messy for the last 8 months. This is a sudden change. I just don't know what would be causing this and if I need to be concerned...
Like I said, I really don't think you need to be concerned. It might be that they retained some more water out of that particular poop, or it could just be that you're noticing it more now. If they're still being their normal linnie selves I would just keep an eye on them.

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
My concern is being compounded by Jasper's feathers above his beak, it's patchy and messy looking all of a sudden. I have never been through a major moult before, so maybe thats all it is? But the change in appearance is, of course, adding to my worry. IMG_0745.JPG

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for all the feedback!! I feel better. Just wanted to get a sense if that sort of a change in poop was a known thing among bird keepers. Like a sign of some specific problem. I'm still new at this.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Not that specific problem, normal linnie poop makes things a little problematic because issues you might see are usually the looser poop or more urine content.

The feathers may or may not be indicative of an issue. He looks pretty good to me aside from the feathers. Does he have any pinfeathers coming in there?

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
Not right right there. But they've both been dropping lots of feathers the last few days. Actually, Buttercup is preening him like crazy in that very spot as we speak, so hopefully in a day or two he'll be back to normal.

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
or her crazy preening is the problem.....ugh....

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Well, that could be... and it also could just be normal heavy molt. You shouldn't see bald patches. That picture doesn't have me super alarmed that he has a medical issue. I would say take a deep breath and just keep an eye on them :)