• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Streamline and the POOF

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Peeps' feathers looks pretty good and uniform throughout, but all of a sudden, the feathers above his left thigh just go POOF! It became more prominent this month, but the last time I saw this was last year.
Have you guys seen this in any of your canaries??
20180625_172052.jpg
20180625_171643.jpg
20180625_172304.jpg
I've noticed him chew on it occasionally, but no plucking, patches, or anything. When he bathes they look much longer than the other feathers. It doesn't seem to be causing anything worrysome, so I'm not freaking out (right now...). It definitely catches my attention though. So does anybody have any idea as to why this is happening?

Last edited:

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Hi hope all is well

Oh bless him..he does make me smile.

Very cute looking with those fluffy feathers. Did he have this before he moulted last time in December? I always think before they moult they can look slightly fluffy around the edges..a feather here and there gone a stray.

My Jellybean is moulting. His 1st adult one. Full moult so he will be a flighted canary yey..big milestone with a canary. He looks really fed up and has been sulking too

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Hi hope all is well

Oh bless him..he does make me smile.

Very cute looking with those fluffy feathers. Did he have this before he moulted last time in December? I always think before they moult they can look slightly fluffy around the edges..a feather here and there gone a stray.

My Jellybean is moulting. His 1st adult one. Full moult so he will be a flighted canary yey..big milestone with a canary. He looks really fed up and has been sulking too
Hi Claire!

He did--he was actually poofy on both sides last time. It dissapeared when he moulted last December, but has reappeared again recently. I think you're right. I'm starting to think it might be an indication that he's nearing his next moult?? (I hope)
I have noticed he'd occasionally drop a single tiny feather when he bathes (they're so tiny, I don't even know if they should be called feathers lol).

I'll keep a lookout for any changes, but I'll definitely take note of this. It would help a lot in the future if i can see early molting signs, so I don't have to panic like last time!

Awe congrats with Jellybean!! Please share photos when he has all of his new feathers :) or feel free to share some now as well LOL They do have that period of quiet or at least less singing. I remember Peeps sang but there were longer periods of quiet in between his chirps and songs. He became more skittish too.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:laugh: What a little cutie!! And I love his fluffy pantaloons. :hehe: I hope it's just pre-molt poofiness.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
:laugh: What a little cutie!! And I love his fluffy pantaloons. :hehe: I hope it's just pre-molt poofiness.
Thank you! I love his birdy pantaloons too--it's very soft!!!
Likewise, it doesn't seem to be bugging him at the moment, so I have my fingers crossed it's just pre-moult!

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Hi

The big moult is anytime now. Looks like peeps has started if he is loosing the odd feather, thats how Jellybean started. I purchsed Feather Fast like finchly suggested which is easy to use..feathers everywhere now lol..very pretty they are