• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Strange sounds at night

IThinkImMe

Moving in
My red factor canary thats about 2 years old has of late started to make this strange long chirp over and over around 9pm every night. He doesn't seem agitated, more like playful but I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I don't have canary experience. Hopefully others can answer. I was at a bird show this weekend and saw some red factor canaries. They are so cute.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
One of my lovebirds does something similar. They're two entirely different kinds of birds, but mine calls at night for two reasons; either a noise disturbs her or she's trying to make me feel bad for putting her to sleep when she wants to play.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:welcome2:

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
welcome pooh.jpg to the hood. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have so far. My wife had red factor canaries a long time ago and she had a male that did the same thing. Not sure why but it didn't bother us. In fact we actually enjoyed the nightly serenade. We have bigger birds now the smallest being Caiques all the way up to Macaws.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I don’t have a canary, but a lot of wild songbirds will sing at night before “bed.”

Serin

Sprinting down the street
A canary should be in total darkness by 9 pm. And in my experience, they are silent in the dark.
If he is not on a strict sunrise-sunset schedule he is likely to experience molting problems and ill health in time as they are highly sensitive to day length and the seasons.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Hello! I have a lil russian canary who loves to sing, but so far I haven't heard him make a lot of sounds at night once I cover him up for bed time. From past experiences, the only times he tweeted at night was when the room got to loud. He would make this slow-ish scared/tired/sad tweets until the noise level dies down. Otherwise, he doesn't begin to tweet until in the morning when he wakes up and waits for me to feed him.

I hope your bird is alright!

IThinkImMe

Moving in
Thanks for the input. I would add that we go to bed at 10pm every night. He doesn't appear to have any molting issues and is bright and chipper during the day singing for a good portion of it. Every now and then he does this tsk-ing, sneezing sound but there are never any signs of infection and the vet says he looks fine, but would need a stain to be sure.

Serin

Ten o'clock bedtime will wear out and exhaust your bird over the course of six months to a year. They need to be maintained on a natural changing day and night cycle or they do experience health problems that eventually result in a premature death.

IThinkImMe

Moving in
We've been putting him to bed at 10pm since we brought him home 2 years ago. Most people I've spoken to say it's not a big deal so long as they can nap during the day. We are gone from roughly 7am-5pm and gone most weekend days so he has plenty of time to sleep if he needs it. Some of the time he'll tuck his head under and go to sleep before 10, but most of the time he waits for me to cover him up before he tries to sleep.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Hi

I put on low lighting lamp once its dark outside..and my 2 canaries go to sleep. When I go to bed on longer daylight days I open up the curtains so when the sun is up in the morning it gives my too a naturally longer day of light.

Do you use red mite prevention? Can cause alsorts of issues,

Claire

IThinkImMe

Moving in
When it's dark out we have low level lighting but we also have a large bright tv. We catch him watching it when a nature program is on. I do occasionally use mite/scale prevention when/if he shows signs of it. But for the most part he's on a 50/25/25 blend of pellet/seed/red egg food and vegetables and fruit. I change his water daily and his cage twice a weekly. He's always happy and even lets me pet him sometimes. But I rarely let him out of the cage as he's not hand tamed.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
I would suggest prevention is better than anything. I use a mite treatment that goes in the drinking and bath water once a month. Red Mites are nasty things and canaries are very prone.

Your canary does not need to be hand tamed to have some excerise. They have to feed every 30 -40 minutes after being active...so may I suggest you think about letting him fly around for half an hour. I have 2 who live in my house, who aren't in my outside aviary. I let them fly around in my living room... I cover mirrors, windows, glass and dont have any house plants in this particular room..oh and place vases of flowers out of the way too...they are very inquisitive birds. My 2 are not hand tamed but they land on me, my head and shoulders...im their mum, im the feeder so they trust me..very cute. I do have a net handy for the odd awkward day. Mine fly back in their cage when they are hungry and I then close the door.

Your canary sounds well cared for but they are very inquisitive and clever little birds and get bored...

Claire

IThinkImMe

Moving in
The only time he gets even remotely close is when I play videos of other canaries singing on my laptop. He'll perch on top of the screen and watch. Sometimes he jumps down on the keyboard but never lets me pet him or perch on my finger

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
I have a Blue named Sugar. He is very confident and unfussed of my hands. Today he was so eager for his food he hopped onto my fingers..palm of hand down. The other canaries do not like my hands I think they see them as a threat...a natural response.
Blue however has had his tummy stroked..very fluffy and his tail. I have an aviary with 15 adults and 12 chicks so far. They are all different with their response to me. Some are quite happy to perch on my head while I clean the aviary and others just watch from high up. An 8 week old chick landed on me last week and tugged my hair..hair tugging/preening is a sign of affection. Again this 8 week old is very confident and will be very friendly.
Its good that yours is comfortable enough to land on your laptop ..put a little treat on your lap too within hopping distance of your laptap..they cannot resist broccoli or a honey stick. Let your canary get used to you and feeling comfortable while it eats on your lap..give it time before you stroke him. I generally dont attempt to stroke them but Sugar is there and not bothered. The ones who are not worried about hands just hop to one side while I tidy up..the ones who are not at all keen will fly off. Hope my wafflings has helped

Claire

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Any idea if your baby is awake, or has already gone to sleep when he makes his noises? We have had those that seem to need a burst of noise just prior to going to sleep. And we have had one that seemed to sing to himself (or chatter) in his sleep! As @BirdManDan mentioned, some just do this. :)