• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Strange Molt

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I noticed a bunch of primaries on the bottom of my parakeets's cage this morning. They are molting right now, but even for a heavy molt that was excessive. About a dozen feathers, in one night?!(some of them were left from the days before so I don't know the exact number)

At first I was mortified, thinking that Kimi may have started plucking as she had similar problems before. But when I let them outside I realized the feathers were Teri's. He plummeted when he tried to fly and is now perching on the back of the chair I'm sitting on while typing.

He's a bit scared and confused - he ''flew'' under my bed, bumping into the wall. Doesn't seem to be hurt. He's already started grooming the dust off himself.

I was gonna take the birds to the vet next week as both were tail bobbing a little bit. I wasn't too worried about it as it's very hot here, but you know, better safe than sorry. Though now I'm getting quite anxious over Teri - what could have caused all those feathers to suddenly fall out?? I'm worried it might have something to do with the tail bobbing?

The earliest possible I can take them to the vet is Monday. Is there anything I can do to help him(them?) until then?

EDIT: Okay now I'm really uneasy, Teri's panting heavily. I tried giving him water, he didn't want it.
He tried to fly and bumped into the wall again. I returned him to the cage so he doesn't hurt himself.

Last edited:

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
I would take him to a vet! That sounds really strange, and as you were going to do it next week anyway, you might as well do it a litte sooner:)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Possibly a night fright? Or he got caught in something and dropped the feathers to get away?

I would definitely go to the vet sooner rather than later.

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I would go right now if I could. There isn't anyone who can drive to the vet's here right now and I don't think taking them on the bus in this heat would be a good idea. :(

I'll call my parent and ask for the vets number so I can try to make an appointment ASAP. Also maybe they'll know someone who can drive me and the birds there.

Edit: I counted 7 primaries, 6 secondaries, 4 tail feathers and what seems to be a feather from the alula. Hoo boy. :confused:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Keep up posted. I hope everything is okay with him.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope all will be well with your bird. Agree with others...vet exam.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope your bird is okay! Please keep us updated!

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I called and after a bit of persuasion they said we can take the birds to a vet early next week, most likely Monday or Tuesday :)

Also, Teri stopped panting, but he's quite grumpy today.

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
A family member had some heart trouble which resulted in my birds' vet appointment being pushed back to a few days ago. The vet we usually go to was absent, and this one was a bit unpleasant. I didn't get everything I wanted to across, so we might go and get a second opinion. We only took Teri, since they were exhibiting most of the same symptoms. No need to stress both of them, especially with Kimi being a major scaredy-bird.

The vet listened to Teri's breathing with a stethoscope and said that he seems healthy. They gave us some vitamins for their water, and also confirmed my suspicion that Teri was becoming a bit overweight.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh. It sounds like the vet was not an avian vet. I'm sorry you didn't get a good answer. :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't trust any vet that recommends vitamins in water. There is no way to know how much the bird is getting, they lose efficacy in water, and encourage bacterial growth. And if the bird is eating any pellets, they could overdose.

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
It was an avian vet. The lead ''avian expert''. Just not a very good one. :dead: Quite rude too.

And I know about the vitamins... Sigh.. I'll urge my parents to go get a second opinion if my birds don't get better, since Teri's stool is a bit odd too. Thanks for telling me about the overdose thing, I've been giving them mostly pellets since the appointment! :eek:

I don't know if anyone we see will recommend anything besides water treatments, though. Where I live aviculture is grossly underdeveloped, and most people still have birds sitting around in cages 24/7, meaning they can't give them medicine directly. So then vets, even if they do know it isn't effective, recommend stuff in their water, cos it's easier. At least that's my hypothesis.

Sadly the only good vet we found works in the exact same clinic. So we can't go to them for a second... I'll look for more vets but don't know if I'll have any luck.

I do believe them on the Teri being overweight thing. By then I had already started making a new diet for my birds, so it wasn't much of a revelation, but oh well.