• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

STRANGE Lovies behavior??

Mayah

Meeting neighbors
This is still strange to me, although now the birds are perfectly okay although they do screech at each other...

They say males bite less, and females bight more. I don't pay attention this much because I know what my lovies are, Tweety is Female and blueJ from what I thought to be female is male...any who, blueJ is the nibbler /: he likes to nibble at my phone, my nails, my video game controller....pretty much anything that I have in front of me in my hands he nibbles on... Isn't that usually female behavior? Aren't females the ones who get nippy? Judging some situations I would say Blue is expert on who he hangs with. I believe he knows children can hurt him, so he nibbles at them. With that being said, my son has mad respect for Blue which I love but I wish he wouldn't do that? He nibbles at my fingers a lot though....Sweety on the other hand, is female and she doesn't bite at all she's actually really gentle even when she's nibbling on my fingers she has always done it gently. Also, I'd like to point out the fact that Sweety has a "brown" rump? She also has very, very little peach on her brow but overall she's a pale-yellow off white creamino /: but why the brown rump? I will upload pics but only if asked.

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
Don't base your assumptions off of generalizations like that. While in some people's experiences, males may bite less and females may bite more, it's all up to the individual. Generalizations are just generalizations and shouldn't be the basis on what you would expect from your own birds. If you can detract the birds' attention from hands to something friendlier for them to chew when they start getting nibbly, like soft woods, papers, cardboards, veggies, etc. you can condition them towards chewing appropriate surfaces rather than people. They like being entertained, so if there's nothing busying them at the moment, you seem pretty exciting, so you'll be their toy.

If they're actually biting and not just nibbling, you may want to check out pages specifically on biting: RP - Biting

Feather colours will vary even if there's a common appearance for creaminos. One of my orange faced lutinos doesn't have any blue on her bum, she's just all yellow other than her face. Pictures might help for others who stumble along and have more knowledge of lovebird mutations.