• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Strange Cockatiel behavior

Revali

Walking the driveway
From what I can tell he seems healthy. Eating, playing the works. Although when he used to play and run around he would sing his little happy songs and hop etc. Now he no longer sings. At random times he'll look around the room and flock call then make whining noises and then launch like something try'd to grab him. It doesn't always happen just like that though. I have no idea what to make of this.

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Is the bird crouching and fluttering it's wings? Are you sure it's a male? The reason I ask is my "male" amazon turned out to be a lady. The behavior I described is for mating. She gets like that twice a year. I would be watching closely for other behavior and diet. Bugsy stopped whistling and screaming, I knew a change in behavior was a red flag. I did a complete change in her diet, added vitamins and she is now screeching up a storm. My story is under new members. Are the eyes bright and clear? Nares and vent clean? Watery stools? Eating fresh veggies? There could be a lot of factors going on and maybe a vet check might be in order.

Revali

Walking the driveway
Is the bird crouching and fluttering it's wings? Are you sure it's a male? The reason I ask is my "male" amazon turned out to be a lady. The behavior I described is for mating. She gets like that twice a year. I would be watching closely for other behavior and diet. Bugsy stopped whistling and screaming, I knew a change in behavior was a red flag. I did a complete change in her diet, added vitamins and she is now screeching up a storm. My story is under new members. Are the eyes bright and clear? Nares and vent clean? Watery stools? Eating fresh veggies? There could be a lot of factors going on and maybe a vet check might be in order.
Thank you very much for your input. It has to be something going on here. I'm not 100% sure on Revali's true sex. The only crouching I've seen is when he's happy and all charged up. He'll crouch well he's singing take three steps then look up pop his head up a few times and keep romping around and playing. As for his health he looks good and seems OK. He mostly eats a variety of pellets and seed I've only just started to get him to try other things just not veggies yet : (
I kind of wonder if he hears a sound maybe kind of like how dogs pick up on things but that's a shot in the dark theory.

Revali

Walking the driveway
Figured I'd try posting in this thread again...So I think what was happening was he was testing me. He would scream and I would try to figure out what was wrong "paying him attention". Now he just wont stop. I think I accidentally created a cry baby? Has anyone here had luck with ignoring a bird who whines for attention, scratches or anything the bird might want?