• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Strange but serious question

Status
Not open for further replies.

XstatyK

Walking the driveway
I've never heard that before, myself married with 2 kids and have always enjoyed birds. But if I had to take a guess, perhaps the people who mentioned that to you were really testing your reaction to see how you would react if they let you in on their little secret or inner circle?

It really is a random thing for them to tell you, I would guess there would be a real reason behind it. :2cents:

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
I really only have one potential explanation for one friend. This particular friend introduced me to two of his male coworkers that have a cockatoo (Furgie). The owners of Furgie are a couple. Perhaps that is the only parrot owners he knows? Also perhaps some of my other friends, know of Furgie & parents without me knowing? I just don't know.

Anyways, glad I'm not crazy haha. I'm gonna ask them this week how they heard this. Will report back if I find out anything.

XstatyK

Walking the driveway
I really only have one potential explanation for one friend. This particular friend introduced me to two of his male coworkers that have a cockatoo (Furgie). The owners of Furgie are a couple. Perhaps that is the only parrot owners he knows? Also perhaps some of my other friends, know of Furgie & parents without me knowing? I just don't know.
That would make sense, it is a small world after all!

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I mean, I am both gay and have a parrot but I've never heard of that link before!

My guess is that your friends all know the same gay parrot owner :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Ok, I'm coming out of the closet here....I admit it...I own parrots!:rofl: I guess you guys already knew that though!

That's truly one I have never heard! I know gay people who own parrots but I never thought I'd link them together as a "thing"! Weird!:wideyed:

Rolanda

:starshower1:I'M HERE I OWN A PARROT AND I'M PROUD!!!:starshower1::parade:

Rolanda

I always thought it was only if the parrot was wearing their earring in the left ear :p

I've seriously never heard that stereotype before. I wonder if it's because having a pet that is less than a wolf that you wrassled with your bare hands means you're "soft"? I'd love to know if this stereotype applies to women too! Maybe I can up my gay cred :rolleyes:

ETA: Yes, it's the parrots that are gay, not the people! LOL!
Scientists: Being Gay Is Good, if You're a Bird

Leah-I LOVE the earring joke. I laughed out LOUD at work!:coffeescreen:

Rolanda

Yay! You made my day Rolanda, if I can make someone laugh my work is done :D
I can SOOOOO remember in the 80's SERIOUSLY pondering which ear a guy's earring was in!!! It was a novelty, but I was So intrigued! But SERIOUSLY, in the 80's we all dressed like Flamboyant Gay men with all that NEON! We weren't really worried about women yet! LOL! (please realize that I am COMPLETELY poking fun).

NOW we're all worried... "Let's label THEM so we know who THEY are". I am part African American and part African American and some other things. My kids, both with white fathers, are very fair but don't look white, not African American either. I can see the wheels turning when people look at them. It's funny but sometimes makes me mad... "Why does it make a difference? Why do you have to figure it out?!" Same thing here... WHY?

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I find this so funny most gay people I know wouldnt be able to stand the mess parrots make ;)

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sure would've made my dating life easier if that were true, lol. I rarely encountered any gay people who had birds (and definitely no gay BIRD PEOPLE - there's a difference). :)

My babies can make a mess of my place any time, and they feel quite free to do so! :D

Reactions: tka

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
My husband will be very disappointed to here this:bonnie:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Seriously though it is obviously a "stereotype " someone made up from a small sample of people. Here on the greatest bird forum in the world we have people from all avenues of life.

We have both gay and straight married couples, both gay and straight couples living together but not married. We have minors still living at home with parents, college students, young adults, middle aged, and older adults. We have people who work manual jobs, nurses, doctors, veterinarians, lawyers, business men, cooks/chefs, office/clerical workers, and probably law enforcement. We have people with young children or grandchildren, people who have never had children, and people with older children.

And these are only the ones I have picked out by casual comments. The only common denominators here are a great love of birds and our wish to "spend time" with other bird lovers and to learn more about birds and their care.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What the heck? I've never heard that one before. Have you heard this from more than one person?
Hands down one has nothing to do with the other. Sheez!

Last edited:

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Seriously though it is obviously a "stereotype " someone made up from a small sample of people. Here on the greatest bird forum in the world we have people from all avenues of life.

We have both gay and straight married couples, both gay and straight couples living together but not married. We have minors still living at home with parents, college students, young adults, middle aged, and older adults. We have people who work manual jobs, nurses, doctors, veterinarians, lawyers, business men, cooks/chefs, office/clerical workers, and probably law enforcement. We have people with young children or grandchildren, people who have never had children, and people with older children.

And these are only the ones I have picked out by casual comments. The only common denominators here are a great love of birds and our wish to "spend time" with other bird lovers and to learn more about birds and their care.
Very well said! Thanks

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sure would've made my dating life easier if that were true, lol. I rarely encountered any gay people who had birds (and definitely no gay BIRD PEOPLE - there's a difference). :)
Hah, this would have been great! First of all, you get a Bird Person as a partner - secondly, no gaydar necessary, just look for the parrot.

Sadly, not even the earring thing works for me as my parrot is determined to remove mine by any means necessary.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Ok yeah got an answer from one friend. No leg to stand on. First mentioned Furgie's parents, then started sending me random google images of gay + parrot. He's probably more so joking and probably doesn't really believe it now. This is a man of science who knows better. Google images and one data point a convincing argument does not make lol. Lets take an actual poll (for those who would like to participate). Here is a new post to facilitate creation of the poll. Please go vote if you're following this. Obviously not a rigorous study haha, but will be fun to get a casual spread among users here: POLL - Strange but serious question | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.