• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Strange Behaviour

Marloz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I have a female cockatiel who can go out her cage, but she jumps on the couch that I sit on and she walks towards me, but when I want to pat her she runs away and climb back in her cage. Why does she do that. I'm confused

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Strange? She don't want to be pet. I find this behavior pretty correct and not strange at all.
Next time don't touch her and let her investigate you. Don't look at her, but you can talk to her.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Let her hang out near you without trying to touch her. Many cockatiels never like to be pet, but maybe she will after months or years of being together and developing trust, you never know. You can still have a very strong bond without cuddling.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Let her hang out near you without trying to touch her. Many cockatiels never like to be pet, but maybe she will after months or years of being together and developing trust, you never know. You can still have a very strong bond without cuddling.
Agreed.Our three tiels have very different levels of desired human interaction. Igor comes over for scritches when he wants them, then leaves when he's had enough. Sunshine will fly over to anyone with a free hand for scritches, and will remain with that person all day, if you let him.
Mocha thinks humans waste valuable oxygen on Earth..

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Callisto likes to come over to me but when I pick her up she complains. I think that's related to her bad foot. Kuiper will come over to me, too, but when I try to pet him he either runs away or tries to bite me. I've had a few cockatiels, though, who always liked to come over to me and be handled and petted. Just depends on the individual bird.
She might not want to be petted or maybe she is just playing a game with you.

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Callisto likes to come over to me but when I pick her up she complains. I think that's related to her bad foot. Kuiper will come over to me, too, but when I try to pet him he either runs away or tries to bite me. I've had a few cockatiels, though, who always liked to come over to me and be handled and petted. Just depends on the individual bird.
She might not want to be petted or maybe she is just playing a game with you.
You mean like the game, "Let's pretend I want scritches, but I really just want to attack your finger?"

Halo

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kyle Markofski
She just needs to warm up to you. When's you think it's a good time to pet her. Bring your hand from under her to the top. If your hand goes from top to bottom when trying to pet her, she could feel challenged/threatened. Other than that just give it some time. Try to be around her a lot and sacrifice some of your free time. She will eventually become a great companion :)

Smbrds

Real Name
Shawn
She's a tease. :D Some tiels just don't like to be touched. Let her come in terms with things on her own and she may eventually will. There are different ways you can interact with her though and bond without cuddling/petting. Baby doesn't like to be petted but our bond is very strong these days and we have our different ways of interacting with each other. She'll warm up to you on her terms. She's a very pretty bird and sounds like she's a great bird and will come around.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
My Erica will sit on my lap, arm, shoulder etc. for as long as I will let her. But try to touch her and she hisses and lunges.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I think thats normal behavior. It's good that she's coming to you, but you might want to continue the slow walk toward trust by just sitting there and letting her inspect you, instead of reaching out to her. I think generally you should let them go at their own pace. I've had Duckie for about 8 or 9 years, but in the beginning it took her about 2 years for her to allow me to touch/pet her. Go slow and you'll see the progress. :)