• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

stopped learning new words

dinucci

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey folks ! Happy daddy to a 6 month old quaker boy here. Buddy started talking at 3 months...saying pretty bird, hey buddy what cha doing, and pretty boy, and a few other semi audible words along with the cutest whistles..but now at 6months,he has kept the same vocabulary. Working on " ladies man", cause that's who he is really haha, ".turn key let me out" among a few others were working on..I thought he was off to the races as far as talking goes, but he listens to us intently turning his head to the side and such, but doesn't repeat.
He's real quick to learn new tricks in training tho. In 5 minutes he got the wave thing down along with shaking hands,and talks while flying...was just wondering if anyone else had the same thing happen. I'm not inpatient in the least knowing that some never talk,but to start at 3 months and then stop learning is something I've never heard of. The one thing I did try tho was to stop saying the words he knows for a few days,and when he vocals wiith me, I respond with the new words,to no avail.
Any suggestions?

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Some are big talkers, & others are not. Maybe he's just listening for now, & may surprise you, when hes ready to talk again.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Six months is still extremely young and as birds mature, they go through many, many life stages, just like humans do. Right now, which ever stage he is in, talking and learning new words is not part of his behavior; but don't stop throwing out new words and phrases to him: he is still listening and you never know when he is going to repeat something back to you. Emily CAG picks up new stuff constantly and throws it into the conversations with him and other birds without warning. Lately I am into some Broadway musicals and I have been playing them on the TV and working to the music. For the very first time I have ever heard him, Em started SINGING! Singing phrases of the musical back to me. Em has always loved the Disney Channel and other adolescent level shows. But I never expected he would break out in song...

So just keep on doing what you naturally do and keep your ears open...

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I've rarely found that my birds pick up what I want them to say no matter how often I repeat it. They tend to pick up what they find exciting or entertaining. You could say things animatedly to get his attention but don't give up hope. I have a 25 year old CAG who still picks up new words.