• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stinky bird in cast

Lovebirdlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
Hello,

My conure Ice is still in her cast from her knee dislocation 2 weeks ago. She is still in it for another 3 weeks! :omg:

Her cast goes up very high and is snug against her body almost. Since it sits against her so tight, it has started to smell. We noticed today she has started to pluck some of the feathers around the cast, so we looked a bit closer and a few feathers were stuck in the cast so whenever she moved, it would pull. It must have been uncomfortable so we helped her out and plucked the ones that were stuck.

I don't want any bacteria to start an infection around her cast area, but I also don't want to get the cast wet either. But she truly does smell.

Any safe cleanser I can use to help?

Thank you in advance

Lovebirdlover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
Im 2 hours from my avian vet and they are closed until tuesday. I will call her then :)

any suggestions?

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I'm so sorry to hear that. Poor little gal must be miserable. It may be itching by now too. All I can remember from having my leg in a cast is using a backscratcher to poke down inside and try to relieve it. Not much help I know.

Lovebirdlover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
any one else know anything?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have no advice. Best thing is to call the vet tomorrow and see what he/she advises. Hope all will be well and sorry that Ice got hurt.