• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stink HELP!!

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Black Jack has a slightly leaky anal gland today and is stinking up the house! :shocked5: He does this occasionally and it usually expresses itself when he goes poo. He got on my leather couch before we smelled it and it is not coming out with my usual spray down and wipe of F10. What else can I use that is bird safe?
He is doing some serious stinking this morning and I am not the type to manually express the anal glands myself. Hubs has him outside running to try and motivate the bowels now (for the 2nd time already this morning).

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I don't think parrots have an anal gland.
What do you feed your bird?

Last edited:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Are you referring to his poop that smells?

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I don't think parrots have an anal gland.
What do you feed your bird?
Heather is speaking about her dog. She just wants to make sure that the cleaner is not dangerous to use in a house with a parrot.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Heather is speaking about her dog. She just wants to make sure that the cleaner is not dangerous to use in a house with a parrot.
:oops::zipped1:
Thank you!
I was just about to turn my caique upside down to check out his anatomy....:xflove:

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
@WendyN - you just made my day!
:coffeescreen:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Black Jack has a slightly leaky anal gland today and is stinking up the house! :shocked5: He does this occasionally and it usually expresses itself when he goes poo. He got on my leather couch before we smelled it and it is not coming out with my usual spray down and wipe of F10. What else can I use that is bird safe?
He is doing some serious stinking this morning and I am not the type to manually express the anal glands myself. Hubs has him outside running to try and motivate the bowels now (for the 2nd time already this morning).
If you have any Poop Off in the house, try that. I know you've got the poop off but Poop Off is bird safe and has a slight scent to it which might reduce/remove the poop smell. I'd also suggest (disgusting as this may sound) blowing your nose a couple of times and wiping out your nostrils with a tissue. I've found that very potent smells have a tendency to linger in our noses long after we've got rid of the source. Just my :2cents:.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I do not have Poop off, but I think one of the local pet stores carries it. May have to make a trip to get some.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I have used Nature's Miracle enzyme pet stain and odor remover on the couch in my parrot room (but not leather).

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Try a vinegar and water mixture..this is usually what I use on everything in the house because it's a good cleaner as well as odor remover around birds. Maybe try opening some windows as well to help?

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I forgot I had a bottle of vinegar, water and Dawn already mixed! I will spray that on it and see if it works. And then go shower the smell out of my nose. It has subsided some, but still some stink lurking. Poor dog doesn't understand why we won't let him on the furniture when he gets this way. :(

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I forgot I had a bottle of vinegar, water and Dawn already mixed! I will spray that on it and see if it works. And then go shower the smell out of my nose. It has subsided some, but still some stink lurking. Poor dog doesn't understand why we won't let him on the furniture when he gets this way. :(
Do they make anything like dog nappies? Sorry diapers.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Do they make anything like dog nappies? Sorry diapers.
They do make them for female dogs. This is once in a while and usually short termed, but PHEW does it stink if we don't catch the smell early and take him outside to rid himself! It was early and we were not quite awake yet when he jumped on the couch. He had been let out, but only pee'd. He has since done #2 and while Black Jack smells better, the couch is still a little smelly.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I sprayed it down with vinegar, water, dawn solution and it seems to have cleaned it off. Thanks for the help everyone!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I feel your pain but ours is....if you don't keep Odie's butt shaved, he manages to get a poop seat. I swear that dog sits on the ground to poop.