• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Still Scared Of Me

Casper's Mom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Audrey
Hi everyone,
Everything is going great with Casper except he is still "scared" of me. I dont think near as bad...as in he doesn't freak out when I have to change his food and water bowls. But he still goes to the other side of the cage. I don't try to go towards him at all and I speek very gently while I'm doing this. Is there something I'm doing wrong or does he just need alot more time?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He's probably still getting used to you, because to him it hasn't been that long. Is there a way for you to change his food and water when he's out of his cage? One of my birds doesn't like my hands in his cage, so I do most everything when he isn't in it.

Casper's Mom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Audrey
Hi,.... You're right. It really hasnt been very long. I'm having trouble with him wanting to come out of his cage. I do think he's terrified of me and probably everyone else too. Now that I'm on this wonderful, educational forum, I'm learning so much. When I first got Casper, the "breeder" told me a few things to do in order for him to bond with me. Well I've been doing those things all except one hugh mistake I now know that she did...and she told me to do. Before I left with Casper, she kinda grabbed him and held him to her chest and told me that this is what I needed to do every day. So the first night I had him, that's what I did...he went beserk so I gently put him back in his cage. I haven't done that since. I found this forum and have learned that I shouldn't have done that. And I feel absolutely horrible! So I'm really worried that I may have shell shocked him for the rest of his life. So what should I do? He is learning certain types of whistles that I practice all day with him. Any time I talk to him, he shakes his head as like he knows that I'm talking to Him. He sings almost all day. And it's singing, not screaming. He constantly plays with his toys. He has a very nice, big cage. Lots of room in it. He's a very, very happy and otherwise content bird, he just isnt fond on me putting my hand in his cage or coming out of his cage.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He will probably come around. Yes, putting him against your chest was not the best thing but he will get over that. He's singing, happy, playing and those are all good signs. Sit next to him eat next to him, offer him treats, show him new toys and even play with them and sooner or later, hopefully, he will become your best friend. BTW, he is very cute!!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I don't think you did any permanent damage to your relationship! Have you tried putting a perch right outside his cage door so he can come out on his own? Maybe put his favorite treat out there and leave the door open in the hopes that he will become curious enough to venture out.

For general bonding, will he nibble on a long millet spray while you hold it? I also think he will come around. He sounds like a very happy birdie!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Training a bird to step up on a perch held in your hand (along with millet) goes a long way to easing their fears. Once perch trained and comfortable with it your finger step up is just around the corner. Birds can take a long time to get used to the human in their life. My two budges have been with me for 6 months or so now and still when I open the cage they go to the back of the cage.