• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Still needs comfort feeds or have I been sucked in?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt has been with me now for over a month but still asks for comfort feeds nearly every night. Some nights he plays with the spoon more more than anything and some nights he eats like he has been starved all day. At this point there has been a fair few nights he has not asked for them at all, some nights he gets his warm pellet mash in his dish, some nights from a spoon. Lately it seems like it is more of a habit for him to ask than a want or a need. He always seems to enjoy the time we spend together when he has his warm mash whether he eats it or not.
I powder his pellets and add warm water to make it into the consistency of peanut butter (sort of) and if he does not have it off a spoon then I stand with him and talk to him while he eats it out of his bowl then we clean up his face (on the nights he wants it clean.....I ask him and if he wants the mash removed he will walk to me and put his face into a hand towel for me to clean up the mess from his beak) then we have a quick little cuddle (five seconds or so) and a scratch if he wants one then he goes into the cage to have some quiet time.
I can not work out when I should stop offering him these comfort feeds and just when I think that he is done with them he will once again ask for one. I am happy to make him warm mash every night as he seems happier to eat mash than the pellets but I really do not want to spoil him (too much) and make him dependent on me to treat him like a baby. I want for him to be happy and well adjusted so I want to do this all right for him. I think I am also a little confused about this as I have been told not to even offer comfort feeds by various people as it is not good for the bird but I have also read and been told that it is better to do them if the bird needs them while settling in or because they are still young. The vet said to give them if he asked for them but I did not ask when I should stop them.
I really get the feeling he is asking for these feeds so he can have some nice quiet time with me and be a little pampered.
Any help or advice here would be great, I really get the feeling he has me sucked in lol.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Does it matter?

It sounds to me like a sweet routine you guys have gotten into. If you don't want to do it, perhaps put less and less food until it is just a spoon game?

As I told hubby last night, what fun are they if we can't spoil them. (You need better advice from others though, don't listen to me!)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Well....

I hold tiny cups for my amazons to eat their chop out of while they sit on my lap. They eat more of it that way.

They'll still eat out of the cups if i just put them in their cage, but they don't eat quite as much.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My adult birds still ask for comfort feedings fairly often. My macaw loves a nice warm spoon feeding before bed to wind down.

I don't think you're at risk of damaging his independence. My WCP asked for comfort feedings every day for about two months when I first got her, and at a year old she still likes the occasional spoon mash, but she's becoming a very well-rounded young parrot. Burt just loves being loved on by his mama.
:swoon:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you for the replies :)
@finchly, it does not matter either way really I just thought it would be nice to know if he was just asking for the sake of having some pamper time......you are completely right there is nothing better than spoiling them, one of my favorite things to do. :D
@Clueless, I am so glad I am not the only one who does such things to make sure my bird eats enough. It is just one more good reason to spend a little more time with him :heart:
@hrafn, I think you are right and I was so hoping I would have some of you guys say it was not a problem. I think if he is only asking for these feeds for the time and not the food I will not worry so much on the days he doesn't eat much of it. If the whole thing is more about the quality time for him then I can stop stressing on the days he messes around and I will focus on just enjoying the moment with him:bliss:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's a comfort feeding; meaning not a need, but a want. And they will either gradually move away from that, or they won't :) Think of it as a child who is weaning from breast or bottle! Some are done at around 1, others aren't done for a few years. Neither is wrong :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I hand fed my BG until he was over two years old. I found nothing wrong with answering his needs. Sometimes I would put the formula right into a bowl and he was happy. We transitioned well with pellets soaked in warm water so they were smushy.

Baby Korbel

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh I love that video of baby Korbel, I have seen that before. He is just adorable. I see that little wing flip and head bob a fair bit here :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I fed him forever it felt like but he loved it. Maui who was the same age never wanted me to feed him. He would wait for me to feed Korbel and then Korbel would feed him. LOL

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Well. Maui had it all worked out then, huh? Lol that is so funny, I love it.