• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stick training...NOT

mandymmr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I've had successful stick training experience before, so I know what to do.
That being said, Saga is not warming up to the sticks at all. I've gone as far as incorporating them in her cage for perches. I have no history on her, but I'm thinking sticks were a bad experience. Even popsicle sticks she rushes at and throws from her cage.
Any other ideas/suggestions?
We are making 0 progress in training, and it isn't just stick. I've bought a separate littler cage to take her away from her "home" (large cage) and she's just as aggressive there as well. I'm almost positive the aggression & twisting biting is to get people away from her to get what she wants (her way).
we have been going slow. Only positive was 1 day she preened my arm and then threw up on me. Then went back to the aggressive Saga I know

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It takes some birds longer. Don't give up..... go at her speed.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What species of bird is Saga? How long have you had this bird and where did you get Saga from? When you say sticks are they perches she is used to or something she has not seen before? When you present a perch in your hand try holding millet in the same hand so Saga wants to step on the perch to get at the millet. Birds work for rewards, not like people. Are you perch training because Saga will not step up on your hand, arm or finger? The fact that you say this bird is aggressive shows you two have not created a bond yet and Saga is not comfortable in your home yet. I would slow down on training efforts and work on daily routines because birds love routines. Same time for waking up, going to bed, feeding, socializing and such.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's going to take more time. How much time have you got? :)

It doesn't have to be a "stick". It just has to be a "tool" that serves the same purpose. Which is to keep the meat out of harms way.

Whatever he's not scared of and you can transport him with is fine.

For example Mr. Chirpy rides the magic slipper. :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
What species of bird is Saga? How long have you had this bird and where did you get Saga from? When you say sticks are they perches she is used to or something she has not seen before? When you present a perch in your hand try holding millet in the same hand so Saga wants to step on the perch to get at the millet. Birds work for rewards, not like people. Are you perch training because Saga will not step up on your hand, arm or finger? The fact that you say this bird is aggressive shows you two have not created a bond yet and Saga is not comfortable in your home yet. I would slow down on training efforts and work on daily routines because birds love routines. Same time for waking up, going to bed, feeding, socializing and such.
Looks like Saga is a Hahn's that she's had a couple months. I looked back at her previous threads and they all say Saga is aggressive with her. It seems like they haven't bonded.

@mandymmr does have bird experience, I saw an old thread where she rehomed a U2. So I would say you are correct, Lady Jane, she needs to go the bird's pace, even if that is very slow.

Mandy -- focus on celebrating the positives, if you can. For example, if Saga is running from your perch, then one day she touches it -- REWARD! Yayy. And so on. Celebrate the baby steps. She'll respond to that -- even if it takes awhile. Time for a bird is not the same as time for a human.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Take it slow and work at Saga's speed, if you try to rush that will only make the training more difficult as she is learning the tools, i.e. the stick is an aversive. How exactly does she react to the stick? Is it a fearful response or an aggressive response? It's hard to say without knowing her history if sticks are associated with some form of punishment. It could be simply because they are new and unfamiliar. I would start with noting her response and body language and use that as a starting point. You may have to desensitize her to the stick and associate it as a good thing. And like John said, it doesnt have to be a stick.

Observe how she reacts to the stick even when it sitting across the room, find out how she reacts to it from certain distances and start from there. Pair every time she sees the stick (or whatever you are using) with a treat. Keep doing this until she is comfortable with you being close to her. This may take some time. Then work on getting her to put at least one foot or even a beak touch onto the stick. Every time she does that, treat. Put the stick in front of but lower than your hand and ask her to step up so she has to lean over the stick. If she even touches it while doing so, treat.