• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Step-up Step-down

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
My birds are not food motivated. They respond to "out time" what they associate as cummunity flock time. I see it as subliminal training. That works for us , in any form of training ,I belive consistency is key. Here's a short example.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I taught mine to step up and down too.... but they like pumpkin seeds.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I taught mine to step up and down too.... but they like pumpkin seeds.
Mine wont take to treat training , I wish they did . They respond well with Positive reinforcement , whatever works right ! it's all good . Many ways to get to the desired result .

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Mine wont take to treat training , I wish they did . They respond well with Positive reinforcement , whatever works right ! it's all good . Many ways to get to the desired result .
I believe step-up step-down ,is a very important basic skill for our avian companions to learn,. especially in an emergency situation, and being allowed to be wrapped in a towel.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I confess, both of mine came to me already knowing "step-up" and luckily kept doing it for me. Praise seems to work as I don't offer treats for the action. I was lucky.

FlockofFive

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Ours don't like treats either - this may be because of us because we started off training with verbal praise instead of treats. Flock training is always wonderful :)

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Love the vid great example of praise! :)

I use elevator up and elevator down instead of step up and step down and very expressively. Since Ella is an extreme talker and more, I prefer to hear the elevator up and down because it really gets my attention more to be honest for me. Since Ella broke all her flight feathers on her left wing months ago she needs lifted up when wants to go on her playstand and the atoms etc. Ella responds totally to words and how I praise and not really interested in treat training at all and knows I will come to her rescue and do what she needs/wants. When she is on the floor playing she runs around going elevator up and I have to go to her to lift her up and then she does her deep deep voice of elevator down is a hoot, cracks me up everytime. :D

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I confess, both of mine came to me already knowing "step-up" and luckily kept doing it for me. Praise seems to work as I don't offer treats for the action. I was lucky.
Very lucky indeed, someone else did the work for you :highfive:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne

I use elevator up and elevator down instead of step up and step down and very expressively. Since Ella is an extreme talker and more, I prefer to hear the elevator up and down because it really gets my attention more to be honest for me. Since Ella broke all her flight feathers on her left wing months ago she needs lifted up when wants to go on her playstand and the atoms etc. Ella responds totally to words and how I praise and not really interested in treat training at all and knows I will come to her rescue and do what she needs/wants. When she is on the floor playing she runs around going elevator up and I have to go to her to lift her up and then she does her deep deep voice of elevator down is a hoot, cracks me up everytime. :D

Praise works well over here too!, your right the more expressive and animated the tone seems to perk their interest.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Ours don't like treats either - this may be because of us because we started off training with verbal praise instead of treats. Flock training is always wonderful :)
I agree, interactive time . I enjoy having unstructured together time, learning and having fun without placing to much demand on them.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

That sounds like a video moment!!!

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
This is a great video!!! I think it is so important to realize that, since birds are all individuals, they are each going to have their own motivations and desires. Training is not a "one method fits all" type deal, which can be a huge shock for anyone who is new to the world of parrots. Training really is about reading that individual bird.

Thank you so much for sharing! :)