• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Step down?

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
Hi, we have two new Linnie's. They are doing really well, no biting, and stepping onto a perch (for now as I don't want to rush them with hands). However, my problem is, when they are enjoying themselves, I have trouble getting them to step off the perch into their cage, they just cling to it until I'm forced to pull it, and them, back out. This isn't always, but just when they aren't done what they're doing.

How do we work on this?

Also, they rush their food dish when I go to take it in and out. It's not overly aggressive, but it makes it difficult to do what I'm doing and Jasper does get pretty beaky on my hand at this time. What is the best way to stop/discourage this?

Thank you.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think little linnies are so cute! Will they step off the perch for a favorite treat that's in their cage? Or you can try making sure they are a little hungry so they go in for their food.

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
I think they might go for millet....maybe. The problem is just when I have to end quality time because I have to pick the kids up etc and usually that quality time has involved a couple treats already! I guess it's just too abrupt an ending for their liking, which I totally understand. I suppose I shouldn't complain. I just hate being late because I can't get birds off a stick (lol)

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
Have you tried target training? When my bird is being a punk and doesn't want to go into the cage, he will often follow a target into there.

Peppo

Sprinting down the street
Instead of trying to step the down onto a perch in thier cage, slightly roll the perch forward and put them on the floor of the cage and say step down. Do it slowly with the perch almost touching the floor of the cage. It worked for me when I used to use a perch. I even do it with my hand in the same way when he won't step off.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Hi, we have two new Linnie's. They are doing really well, no biting, and stepping onto a perch (for now as I don't want to rush them with hands). However, my problem is, when they are enjoying themselves, I have trouble getting them to step off the perch into their cage, they just cling to it until I'm forced to pull it, and them, back out. This isn't always, but just when they aren't done what they're doing.

How do we work on this?

Also, they rush their food dish when I go to take it in and out. It's not overly aggressive, but it makes it difficult to do what I'm doing and Jasper does get pretty beaky on my hand at this time. What is the best way to stop/discourage this?

Thank you.
Maybe less treats while they are out? And try putting them away 15 or 30 minutes prior to you needing to leave. Essentially, giving yourself more time to get out the door!

If they rush their dishes, you can try teaching them to station on a perch while you change and clean their dishes. Lure them to a perch you want them to station on and keep rewarding them for being on the perch while you change the dishes. You can tell them to station there, too, or say "Go to perch" and work on teaching them to stay. Rewards should be frequent at first, but over time, you can lesson how frequently they are rewarded for staying put, as you work on *time*.