• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Steel water bowl used as Mirror?

Limnori

Meeting neighbors
Hi guys.

I recently started to change Cicero from the plastic drinkers that his cage came with (those upturned bottle type with an open "trough" at the bottom) mostly because advice here seems to say a SS dish is safer?

I now have a bit of a concern - Cicero seems to be using the bowl more as a mirror than a water source :/ he'll stand on it and talk to his reflection at the bottom of the bowl for some time. I havent seen him drink from this rather he returns to his old bottles - im trying to wean him off but dont want to remove the bottle unless I know he drinks from the bowl.

Does anyone elses bird do this? Should I be worried? I know mirrors are a bit divisive because of the behaviour they can trigger.

The bottles are so narrow theyre hard to clean, but I could try to get a larger bottle thats easier to sponge out?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump7:

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
My CAG Scooter likes to say "There's a bird in your water." :D A friend suggested that maybe she's reacting to seeing her reflection in the stainless steel bowl, which is possible. It hasn't stopped her from drinking from the bowl or occasionally bathing in it. I don't use bottles for water since Ralph the QP acted like it was the scariest thing he's ever seen, and Scooter would likely be afraid of the bottle too.

Limnori

Meeting neighbors
I guess every bird is different :)

I caught Cicero actually trying to sleep on the edge of the bowl (looking into it)so I did remove it - he didnt sem too happy about it though!

Think I might start only using it under supervision until I am sure he is ok - nothing is ever simple eg?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He's fine. He's also a solitary bird so it's very common for them to react to a reflection.

If there was another actual bird around the reflection wouldn't be nearly as important.

He likes it and your taking it away

Limnori

Meeting neighbors
Ive been putting it back in when im around just to monitor it, to be honest you might be right as he only looks into it when im not actively with him - as soon as I am near the cage or let him out he forgets all about it!

Im more worried now about the fact he doesnt drink from it so its not a reliable water source

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Im more worried now about the fact he doesnt drink from it so its not a reliable water source
He's drinking water. You just don't see it.

Limnori

Meeting neighbors
I see him drinking from his bottle quite regularly, but the dish water doesnt seem to go down and I havent seen him drink from here at all - he always goes for the bottles? I might try taking the bottles away while im home over the weekend when I can monitor it more accurately