• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

starting over now.. need advice:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
First of all, sorry for not listening to some people's advice in my other fish thread, I wasn't having the best day and took it out on you guys and that wasn't fair of me. I'm going to listen to you guys advice now because I want to do this the right way and not loose my fish or fail at my aquarium. I set up the 10 gallon tank yesterday, it's been running (the pump has been) all night and the water is clear. I'm going to leave it setup as a "sick tank" or extra tank most likely. I'm planning on going and looking at fish supplies and a bigger tank (20 gallon) at the petstore today. I've already looked on CL and haven't found any tanks as of yet. I'm not sure what kind of fish to get yet either, I'm thinking of something tropical, I do love the way Goldfish swim etc but I don't know about them anymore, based on what you guys have said they dont seem like a good fish to have..so I'm thinking of something tropical, any ideas? Advice?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Victoria, as explained already, the first thing you should do is join a fish forum and take your time to learn the difference between gold fish and tropical fish and the hardiness (or delicateness) of both plus how much work is involved for each so you can decide what you are personally able to manage. Then on the fish forum learn what size tank is needed for the type of fish you want and how much space each fish needs to stay healthy. Also on the fish forum learn about the types of filters, etc that will be needed and how hard they are to maintain and what is the best way to get the tank ready, etc, etc. Then come here and ask questions to fine-tune your plan. Coming here to ask questions should be a 'follow up' to help fine tune your decision. You wouldn't go to a fish forum to learn how to take care of birds because some of the members on the fish forum also have birds. A lot of effort goes into fish keeping. If we want serious help we have to be serious about what we are doing. :hug8:

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Of if you have a shop near you that specializes in fish you can also go there in person and have some pretty great discussions with people are pretty passionate about this hobby.:)

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
From what I have heard people on most fish forums are the meanest of any online forums! I would be scared...hehe.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Really? I joined five while I was looking for the one that would be a good fit and I found them the same as bird forums...some more direct than others but not overly mean as a whole. They were all packed with info, though. :lol:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
From what I have heard people on most fish forums are the meanest of any online forums! I would be scared...hehe.
:huh: Really? Why would they be any different than any other type of people?

SkyBaby

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kira
Thats true. I have had similar experiences. People can get to be know it alls and go all high and mighty because of their superiority complexes. All forums have members like that where the only right way is their way. Its a shame really.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name

:huh: Really? Why would they be any different than any other type of people?
LOL, I read that as "Why would they be any different any any other SPECIES of people?" :lol::lol:

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Thanks for the advice everyone and yes Marie, I joined a forum called Fish Lore back in July and then forgot I joined/forgot the password, lol, so I'm back on there now, I just did another new intro. My screen name is Gen120:D I want to do this the right way for the fish just like I do with my fids, no matter how long it takes, I want to learn as much as I can before I get them :)

Last edited:

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
went to Petsmart tonight with the family- going to Petco tomorrow evening as a family when my dad gets home from work. Learned a lot of stuff at Petsmart, going to get a 20 gallon aquarium kit Marineland LED Aquarium Kits unless we find another better priced kit at Petco tomorrrow evening. I'm going over to the fish forum in the morning, but I'm going to bed now as it's already past midnight, lol!

animalcrazy

Sprinting down the street
Here is some info...

Goldfish are cold water fish and they are poop machines hence they require large tanks with good filters.. Goldfish caannot be kept with tropical fish because 99% of tropical fish are fast moving fish, goldfish on the other hand are slow moving fish.. Many tropical fish are fin nippers, that's another reason not to keep them with goldies..

If you come across people on fish forums that arnt nice, remember to take in the good advice and leave the bad. I have been in the hobby since 6 years, I started off making mistakes but forums like fishgeeks and reading info on the net helped a lot.. If you need any help at any time then let me know. I shall try to provide suggestions :)

jamesgang

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
james smith
a larger tank is a good way to go anyway, that balance with water changes and maintanance and keeping with gradual changes is easier when u r talking 45-60 gallons as opposed to the smaller tanks, look into a wet/dry filter which is THE way to go, WAY easier to service and maintane. package deals r nice but u can do better by looking around and buy the basic tank and filter and u can always add all those little perks that come in the package deals.jim

Status
Not open for further replies.