• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SSL?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'd always prefer to use SSL for forums, any anyone who is aware of it would. It does work, but there are errors that crop up occasionally. The main error is following internal links always send me to the non-SSL site, which I can't login to because I'm already logged in on the SSL. It mainly hits when opening thumbnails on linked threads, or links into the members only forums.
I really would prefer to use SSL, but even though it does work it doesn't seem to be fully implemented. Is there anything the admin can do?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Is someone working on it? SSL is hardly working at all now:
Chrome.png

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There is no real reason That I can see that this site needs to be a secure site. I don't post any critical or personal information and no one else should either. The stuff I do post is for public consumption. The whole purpose of the site is to share. If it was my banks website, that's a different story.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'd always prefer to use SSL for forums, any anyone who is aware of it would. It does work, but there are errors that crop up occasionally. The main error is following internal links always send me to the non-SSL site, which I can't login to because I'm already logged in on the SSL. It mainly hits when opening thumbnails on linked threads, or links into the members only forums.
I really would prefer to use SSL, but even though it does work it doesn't seem to be fully implemented. Is there anything the admin can do?

The reason you are getting errors is because you are forcing the SSL when the actual forum does not use the SSL. When you click a picture or link in the SSL version you are asking for your system to pull from the non SSL version and if it complied, it wouldn't be secure. Since the forum asks for no sensitive information there is no reason it needs to be secured.

We have some upgrades to do this year and during that time this could change but for now it is what it is. :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
And what it is is working fine now.

View attachment 307689 :hmmm:

Until you click something and ask it to pull from non SSL version. ;) Technically the forum is not https, you are forcing it. The reason you can force it is because we do have it, it's just not applied to every page of the forum.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
There is no real reason That I can see that this site needs to be a secure site. I don't post any critical or personal information and no one else should either. The stuff I do post is for public consumption. The whole purpose of the site is to share. If it was my banks website, that's a different story.
you DO send your password ;-)

Also, in the future the major browsers will likely flag any site that is not using https as unsafe.
Safari on my ipad allready does it.

also, because YOU don't, doesnt mean others dont do either ;-)

HTTPS is gonna be the future, wether you like it or not :) personally, i think the sooner the better ;-) but then again, im in IT Security ;-)

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Most people still use one password for many sites :(

We need to look after those people ;-)

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Even if someone did hack in and get johns password I would know it immediately because we have software in place that detects every single log in. If it is a different device using someone’s account it sends me an instant notification. That notification goes out to all the upper staff members.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Even if someone did hack in and get johns password I would know it immediately because we have software in place that detects every single log in. If it is a different device using someone’s account it sends me an instant notification. That notification goes out to all the upper staff members.
I hope I haven't been disturbing you by using VPNs all over Europe.
Sorry if I have.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Indeed, with VPN’s and the likes...

Anyways, SSL is best practices and in the future probably mandatory :) so we’ll just have to wait :)