• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SS cages for smaller birds

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
Hi all, I’m sure this has been inquired about many times but I’m having trouble sifting through all the information :o:

I’m looking to upgrade to SS cages for my pearly conure and lovie. They’re currently in powder-coated flight cages (forget the brand but I think A&E). Like most fids, both of them enjoy horizontal space and rarely utilize the full vertical space in large flight cages, so I’m looking for something that’s more wide than tall. Which... is really hard to find! And for some reason I’m also having difficulty finding an SS cage with 1/2 inch bar spacing..

I was eyeing the Expandable Habitats cages which were PERFECT, being SS and horizontal.. but then noticed they aren’t taking orders for 1/2 bar spacing anymore :arghh: The only other thing I found was Northwest but I have a feeling it will be way out of my budget.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am not up on my stainless steel cages, sadly. @webchirp do you know of any that might fit the bill?

Have you expanded your search to include 5/8" bar spacing? Both a pearly and a lovie should be fine in that size too. Bummer about EH :(

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Have you tried Featherland cages?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I am not up on my stainless steel cages, sadly. @webchirp do you know of any that might fit the bill?

Have you expanded your search to include 5/8" bar spacing? Both a pearly and a lovie should be fine in that size too. Bummer about EH :(
Sadly no...I'm at the point where I want to make my own but they won't be pretty like EH.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have an Animal Environments Macaw SS that I've had for 18/19 years now. It has withstood the residency of two GW macaws for many years without any signs of damage.

Here is their site and I see they do have a smaller cage. Take a look.
Welcome to Animal Environments

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
Hi all, thank you for the suggestions!! I did see Featherland and A&E but it looks like they are vertically oriented and only have dome tops. I forgot to mention this in my first post but flat top is preferable, I had a dome top at one point that my conure didn’t really like (she likes hanging and clambering from the roof).

Am thinking about going for a Featherland cage if I can’t find anything else however...

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
I have not tried looking at 5/8 spacing! So used to shopping for 1/2 that it was my default. I’ll take a look again :)

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use a Midwest Critter Nation single unit for my bird. It has 1/2 bar spacing, but it isn't SS. However, the entire cage has horizontal bars and the doors open very wide. Your birds would have more than enough space if you opt for it.

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
I use a Midwest Critter Nation single unit for my bird. It has 1/2 bar spacing, but it isn't SS. However, the entire cage has horizontal bars and the doors open very wide. Your birds would have more than enough space if you opt for it.
Oh, the horizontal layout of this is exactly what I’m looking for!! I noticed that the cage has double doors spanning the entire length of one side. If I went with this cage, I’d keep one door closed so I can attach wooden and rope perches depth-wise. For the other side though, do you find that you can’t attach much to that wall since it opens up to a door? I know your baby Java doesn’t have standard perches per se but if you had any insight that would be wonderful :heart:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, the horizontal layout of this is exactly what I’m looking for!! I noticed that the cage has double doors spanning the entire length of one side. If I went with this cage, I’d keep one door closed so I can attach wooden and rope perches depth-wise. For the other side though, do you find that you can’t attach much to that wall since it opens up to a door? I know your baby Java doesn’t have standard perches per se but if you had any insight that would be wonderful :heart:
For the most part, I could still add perches and platforms to either the door or the side as long as it's not from the door to the wall because then I wouldn't be able to open the door. I'm not sure if that makes much sense. If not, I could attach a few pictures if it would help.

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Finding good sized SS cages for smaller birds has been an exercise in futility for Chandra (webchirp) and I. At the moment I'm happy with the cage Rowdy has, but if I need another I will resort to making my own SS cage for her.

I do have a Featherland cage for one of my Greys and I'm pleased with it for the price. I think I once did a review of it here if you can find it in a search. I won't say it was perfect out of the box, but it was worth the cleaning and deburring of some welds since my financial situation isn't the nicest.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I had A&E make me a 40” ss with 5/8” bar spacing.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I had A&E make me a 40” ss with 5/8” bar spacing.

Nice! I didn't know they did custom work. I'll bear that in mind as well for Merlin if she needs a new cage, too. Buying a SS double stack for one bird is kind of expensive. I was going to make her a cage too if necessary.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Nice! I didn't know they did custom work. I'll bear that in mind as well for Merlin if she needs a new cage, too. Buying a SS double stack for one bird is kind of expensive. I was going to make her a cage too if necessary.

They did a good job. I also had a 32"x24" dometop made by John Rogers at Northwest cages with 3/4" spacing and it cost more than twice as much!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
They did a good job. I also had a 32"x24" dometop made by John Rogers at Northwest cages with 3/4" spacing and it cost more than twice as much!

I had gotten a quote from him when I needed one for Oobie. I'm sure they are nice cages (Northwest), but it was beyond my means.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

I had gotten a quote from him when I needed one for Oobie. I'm sure they are nice cages (Northwest), but it was beyond my means.

shipping and insurance was hefty! It's a nice cage, Rudy my rb is in it but thankfully my quakers shifted to powdercoat safely so I didn't have to spring for two more ss cages from him!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
shipping and insurance was hefty! It's a nice cage, Rudy my rb is in it but thankfully my quakers shifted to powdercoat safely so I didn't have to spring for two more ss cages from him!

Oobie is the only one here who strips powder coating.

Not long after I bought the Featherland I did also find a used Avian Adventures SS cage for a good price so I went ahead and bought it for Pete. He hated the big A&E Victorian top cage I had gotten him. It was too big I guess. I know most of us want to give our birds the biggest cages we can, but when they have lived for 28 years in a very tiny cage they don't always transition well to a very large cage. The SS cage is like 38 x 30 and is a playtop so lower inside height as well, and he was happier.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Was surprised to find two Avian Adventures stainless steel Mediana cages on Craigslist. The play top is sold but the dome top is still available. $1199...too $$ for me but generally the cages I see on CL are overpriced pieces of junk so this was a pleasant surprise. They also look to be in excellent condition. I would like to have an SS cage made for Scully but I know that they are out of my price range.

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
I wish I had the handyman skills to build my own! @webchirp @roxynoodle if you guys do end up making your own I’d love to see how they turn out :heart:

@saroj12 I had no idea they did customs! What was the process like/how much customization did they allow? How long did it take, and can I ask how much it cost? I’m glad that it turned out super well!

I’m thinking about getting this one from A&E: A&E Cage Co. 32"x23" Stainless Steel Refuge Play Top Bird Cage
Don’t need the skirt or playtop (I hope the latter can be removed buuut not holding my breath) but it was the only one that I could find that was large enough, with smaller bar spacing, and more horizontal.

Last edited: