• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Squeakers uses her missing leg.

Brendajean71

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I found this fascinating and it was just chance that I caught it on video. Squeakers contentedly preening away and then she scratches her head with her missing leg. And then continues to preen. I hope that head scratch felt real good! Otherwise, she does use perches and other cage items to rub her head on, especially when there are a lot of pin feathers. Sure love this birdie.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
wow thanks for sharing

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
that is too cute!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
That was cute but I never think I had watch something like this before. It sure is a phantom leg.
How old is she and when did she loose her leg?

Brendajean71

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
That was cute but I never think I had watch something like this before. It sure is a phantom leg.
How old is she and when did she loose her leg?

Eloy she is about one and a half, maybe 2. She lost her leg about 7 months ago. Fascinating, isn't it?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Eloy she is about one and a half, maybe 2. She lost her leg about 7 months ago. Fascinating, isn't it?
Yes very! I don't think she realize that her leg isn't their while scratch her head. She is very cute and she had adjusted well. :)

Brendajean71

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I know, she is a trooper for sure. There are a lot of posts about her through her recovery on this site and she sure had a lot of support and love. Did you notice she even moved her wing out of the way just like she would have with an actual leg?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Oh goodness! It sure looked like it felt good they way she moved around.
That was amazing to see.
What a sweetie! :heart:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
She has adapted perfectly and almost forgotten it's not there any more:heart: Maybe someday shell figure out how to prop against something so she can scratch with the other leg and not fall over. I bet she loves you to give her scritches.

Brendajean71

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
She has adapted perfectly and almost forgotten it's not there any more:heart: Maybe someday shell figure out how to prop against something so she can scratch with the other leg and not fall over. I bet she loves you to give her scritches.
Turquoisines are not very scritchable birds. They are quite flighty. Only one, Birdie, will let me scritch the front of her a little bit. Birdie also will rub the top of her bill on the tip of my finger when I put my finger in front of her, in a very affectionate way. She will also step up onto my finger. Squeakers doesn't mind being held too much but I have to get her first, and I usually only try to get her in my hand if I need to do a nail trim or look at her closely for any reason. Maybe the next time I notice a lot of pin feathers on her head I will hold her and try helping her out with some head scratching. Buttercup will only step up onto a perch when I need to move her, but she is very obedient when I put the perch in front of her and stays on it until I move her to where she needs to go.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Dobby is very standoffish about me scritching him but if I sneak up on him while he's already scratching he sometimes will let me take over. Now when sister has him he DEMANDS she scritch him, even grabbing her fingers to drag them to his head. You might eventually get enough trust built up but just rubbing her nose on your finger sounds like great progress.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
He's a Maxi Pionus, they are generally calm medium sized birds that tend to be gentle and like to just hang out by you and get treats and scricthes. Dobby is my 4th maxi and the most gentle, social, but naughty boy I've ever had.
He loves to chew and eat things, especially anything bad like soap.
Your girl is what she is and may decide to allow more with time or maybe considering how they tend to be what you have now is what you get.

Brendajean71

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I love my Turquoisines even though they are not real interactive with me. They are very peaceful birds. They each have their own personality and have their own little ways of interacting with me. They give me so much joy and many smiles. :)

My Kakariki interacts with me quite a bit - she is a lot of fun.

Dobby sounds like a great bird. :)

Here is a pic of my three Turquosines. From left to right, Birdie, Buttercup, and Squeakers.

DSC_6405_01.JPG

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Squeakers is still one of my birdie heroes.

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
That's so cute! :heart: that Squeakers.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Awwww, she is a cutie