1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Squawks while flying

Discussion in 'Quaker Causeway' started by CrazyBirdChick, 2/10/19.

1. CrazyBirdChick

CrazyBirdChick Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month

Diane
    Everytime Blu flies he squawks the whole time. I could tell when he's flying even if I'm nowhere near him :joyful:

I am just curious to know if squawking is common in Quakers (or other birds) when flying?

Blu was clipped before I got him. Probably for the first 1& 1/2 years of his life. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

But then again my first Quaker was clipped for the first few years (I didn't know any better :() and although he didn't fly that much, when he did fly he was silent. So I don't know if clipping has anything to do with it but I thought I'd mention it just incase.

2. painesgrey

painesgrey Rollerblading along the road

Rachel
    Pippin isn't squawky often, and I've only heard him squawk in flight a few times.

Piper, on the other hand, screams for her entire flight. And most other times. She is in a perpetual state of scream.

Lwalker and CrazyBirdChick like this.
  3. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
    Thanks for the response Rachel! I am so sorry but I had to chuckle when I read "perpetual state of scream" :p

Blu is not a loud bird in general. It's just when he flies. I almost take it as "Woohooo! Watch out now, I am flyyyyiiiinnng!" But I have no idea, really, what he's saying or why he does it.

Lwalker likes this.
  4. Lwalker

Lwalker Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue

Lori
    Woohoo! Incoming. LOL!
    :fly2:

Eloy and CrazyBirdChick like this.
  5. AutumnRain

AutumnRain Sprinting down the street

Kelsey
    I'm not sure about whether it's common with Quakers, but I have seen videos of Macaws flying and they squawked a lot. My tiel doesn't make any noise when she flies.

That's great that he enjoys it so much. Also, as for the clipping correlation. I'm not sure whether there is one or not, but my bird came to me clipped by her previous owner. She was allowed to fledge and fly beforehand for many months, and when she finally molted in her flight feathers, she had no confidence to take flight. I know she's still regaining her confidence from going through being clipped. She gets more and more confident with flying again daily thankfully, so maybe she will be more vocal too once she's fully confident again. :)

6. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
    It sounds about right, right? :dance4::rofl:

I do remember reading about macaws being loud in flight. I wonder if most of them are? Maybe I should've posted this in bird boulevard for more general replies

That's so great that your cockatiel is getting more and more confident in flying! :cheer:

AutumnRain and Lwalker like this.
  7. Eloy

Eloy Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

J.T
    That is communication. Very common and 100% normal, and budgies sounds all the time. That is why bigger flying flocks make a lot of sounds.
    Listen to this: :D

8. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Roz
    Bobbie (Red-lored Amazon) usually squawks as she takes off. Like Blu, she couldn't fly when she first came to me. I interpret the squawks as her excitement at being able to fly now. Like you, it helps me keep track of what she's doing if I'm in another room! :D

9. Eloy

Eloy Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

J.T
    No more: - I'm here, where are you? Have you seen a hawk? Is it safe her now? And the same sound make sure that that bird belong to that flock.

10. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
    Thanks for sharing that JT! It's amazing to see that many budgies all at once! The only thing I can say is...budgies (even millions of them) sound more melodious than this

Thank you for sharing, Roz! It does come in handy to know whats going on :lol:

Eloy, WendyN and Lwalker like this.
  11. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
    Yes, I could see it meaning lots of different things depending on circumstances. In the video I posted up above I interpreted his squawks as - oh shoot this landing is tight!

Eloy and Lwalker like this.
  12. AutumnRain

AutumnRain Sprinting down the street

Kelsey
    Thank you! I can't imagine what it was like for her not to be able to fly after doing it for so long. It's been so amazing to watch her take off more and more whenever she wants to. :joyful:

13. taxidermynerd

taxidermynerd Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award

Bee (pronouns they/them)
    Chirp is a yeller sometimes, if he's exceptionally riled up he'll squawk his head off as he does his zoomies.

14. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
    Awww, Chirp! I can just picture it now:xflove:

15. BirdField

BirdField Walking the driveway

Lindsay
    I remember seeing a video of a free-flight quaker who'd squawk the whole time she flew (and then into her person's ear upon landing :hilarious:). I assume it's just communication, too.

Eloy, CrazyBirdChick and Lwalker like this.
  16. tka

tka Jogging around the block

There are feral IRNs where I live and they, too, are in a perpetual state of scream. You usually hear them before you see them - when I hear the screaming, I know to look up to glimpse a pair or trio arrowing across the sky.

17. BlueDoraBarry

BlueDoraBarry Strolling the yard

Barry
    we live in an apartment, and Dora's screams are so loud when she flies. Sometimes, our neighbor's parrot (we don't know them or their parrot/bird) replies. I also glad to know Dora isn't the only one who randomly flies on top of door frames.

BirdField and CrazyBirdChick like this.
  18. painesgrey

painesgrey Rollerblading along the road

Rachel

Honestly, that may be it. I imagine flying in a large flock can get hectic, and squawking while flying might help mates keep track of one another, or keep mid-air collisions to a minimum. I know Cake and Pippin have had a few mid-air collisions that may have been avoided if one of them actually communicated where he was going. :laugh:

CrazyBirdChick likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)