• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouting Easy or Complicated?

Kolkri

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
Easy. I do it once a week. I add some to the mix every day. They love them.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
It's a long time since I have visited this thread. Good to see people are still reviewing this. I have some of my own up dates to upload.
My latest convert has been a Budgie that is in boarding. Shu is about 6mts old. Never seen fresh sprouts before. She took to them a,most instantly, even though there are a lot of larger seeds in my mix. The sprouts are the first food she will go for in the mornings. Yet she will have a choice of, her own seed mix, my seed mix, millet, and two seed bells. She is at the point you can read her body language and see how happy this Fid is with the fresh food. I have a short vid and will post once I have up loaded.

Edit: Added vid. Three short clips. Showing no matter which bowl the sprouts went in she went straight to them every time. And you can see I have been changing out her cage perches.

Yes it would be great to see this compilation turned into a sticky, as I send people here from all over the web to review it.

Last edited:

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
I have added a few new found seeds to my list of things I have in my collection

Adzuki beans
Amaranth
Barley
Blue Peas
Black Sesame seeds
Black Rice
Buck Wheat
Buckwheat Groats
Brown Rice
Chick Peas (Garbanzo beans)
Corn kernels
Garbanzo beans (Chick Peas)
Grass seeds (Make sure they are untreated or coated)
Lentils (All are good)
Maple Peas
Maize
Mung beans
Oats
Panicum (Millet)
Pumpkin seeds
Quinoa
Radish
Rape seeds
Sesame seeds
Short grain brown rice
Spelt
Sunflower seeds
Safflower seeds
Teff
Wheat
Wild Rice.

Sure there are going to be others around. I did try a few others, but they never showed any signs of sprouting, so threw them away.
That is one good thing about keeping them all is separate bags. I can very my mix as and when I like.
I was asked just the other day when someone was watching me start a new batch. Do you not have any set measures for each seed type. No! was my reply. A few of these and a few of those and it all works out in the end. This is not a scientific experiment.
Day 1 Soak grass seed and maize in one jar. Black rice in one on it's own, as it leaches a lot of color in the soaking.
Day 2 all the others except Quinoa, that goes in last, as it sprouts very fast for me.
Day 3 Start serving
Day 5 throw away.

Topflight is a very good mix here in NZ and I use it between my own batches most times to add variety.
At the moment I am feeding sprouts to all the birds here 10 of my own birds and 6 boarders. From the Budgie up to the Peking Duck.
Not one of them gets any processed foods. I try to keep it as natural as nature intended.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Time to up date this thread.
I changed the way I sprout.
One large glass jar
One small glass jar
Three strainers
Two stainless bowls

On the first day I rinse & soak maize and grass seeds in the big jar.
Rinse & soak black rice in the small jar., as it leaches a lot of colour during the soaking and discolours everything.
I use the small strainer for the rinsing the jars.
Day two these go into one of the larger strainers in one of the bowls.
And I rinse & soak all the other seeds, except quinoa. For a day.
Then these get tipped into the strainer with the maize, grass seed and rice.
Then I will add the quinoa to them.
Rinse twice a day. At the moment it is winter so I will not put them in the fridge until I see they are starting to show signs of sprouting.

Why I do it this way is because the first ones take longer to sprout, and the quinoa is very quick.

A few of the things I sprout

Maize grass seed and black rice after soaking. Close up.

Last of the old batch. Close up.

Over lapping. The last of the old and the new batch under way.

This mix is TopFlight Soak & Sprout. I sometimes use this between my own batches for a change. It only costs $3.50nz per Kg so very cheap and very good quality as it is made up of all local product.
Just lacks the twenty plus seeds I sprout.

Last edited:

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Excellent and informative post :)

Thanks

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Yet another convert. Had Terrie a female Galah in for a week boarding.
Only took placing a dish of sprouts in her temp cage and she took to them.
By the end of the week she was tucking in, with enthusiasm.
And sorting the owner on how to.

A interesting side note: Since I have been sprouting with good quality seeds and keeping them all in separate bags in a sealed bin, I have had No Issues with pantry moths.
I can remember a few years back a discussion where someone said it is hard to get clean seed in USA. And you were likely to get moths with most seed stored.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Thank you Eloy.
I have tried to cover as much as I could in this thread and continue to point others here, as a reference to their sprouting needs and questions.

I agree it would be great to have it as a sticky, making it easy to find. I think it has been said before and No Response.
Who are the Mods we need to target?

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you Eloy.
I have tried to cover as much as I could in this thread and continue to point others here, as a reference to their sprouting needs and questions.

I agree it would be great to have it as a sticky, making it easy to find. I think it has been said before and No Response.
Who are the Mods we need to target?
Sarah, @Macawnutz , made it a sticky this morning.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Time for a review of this thread.

One point I would like to make to everyone, who wants to try their hand at sprouting. And this is very important.

Always try to buy the best seed you can. (Freshest, top quality) Local is going to be better than imported, as it should not of been treated in any way. If it is do not use. Simple.
Most imported seed is treated in some way, so caution.
Old or contaminated, should be avoided at all cost. If you cannot plant and grow from what you buy. then it is no good for sprouting.
Always check anything you going to use in a sprout mix will sprout first, by trying just a few seeds on their own.
If like me you store your seeds in separate bags, (which at least for me works) you will be able to see if there is any pantry moth infestation in any of them, without contaminating the rest of your seeds.

As I have experimented and made sure I am buying the best and freshest as i can. I have only had one bag with just one or two larvae develop, and some of my bags will be here for a few months, before they are used up.

Another note is. I see on one of my early posts I list soy, which I have now stopped using.
Too much controversy, and not worth adding them.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@clawnz
every time I have tried sprouting it has turn into ugly mess, mold, no tails, bad smells, just too many problems. maybe it's my set up; this NK kitchen crop sprouter. I follow the instructions for it to the letter. IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG
I have tried kamut, millet, safflower, mung, peas, chick peas, popcorn, sunflower, lentils etc. etc. all have been failures
I tried large bottles with holes punched in them same thing. any ideas????? I have limited $$ to spend on seeds.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Ok Lets see if we can help.
I would start by asking a few questions.
Are you using just one tier of that sprouter.
What are your day night temps and where abouts are you trying to sprout.
Where are you getting your seed from.
And whereabouts are you.
You can PM me if you like. And I will try and talk you through a few things that may help.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok Lets see if we can help.
I would start by asking a few questions.
Are you using just one tier of that sprouter.
What are your day night temps and where abouts are you trying to sprout.
Where are you getting your seed from.
And whereabouts are you.
You can PM me if you like. And I will try and talk you through a few things that may help.

1.i'm using the 3 clear tiers for the sprouts, the white gizmo in the clear tiers is some type of siphon to keep the small seeds from drifting down into the other tiers. all 3 clears tiers have those siphons. the top white tier is where you start the water. the bottom white tier is water collection basin.
2. right now the temps are highs in the low 50's F, the lows at night are 30 to 40 F and I am in Minnesota USA. we are just on the edge of getting winter here. they are talking 3 to 5 " of snow (UGH) Friday night into Saturday.
3. I have gotten the seeds from the local Co-Op, where my uncle lives in northern MN. the are all organic seeds from local farms up there.
my biggest concern is the mold and mildew that forms on the seeds about the 2nd day after the soaking.
your thoughts.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Thank you. I forgot to ask. You not using any warm water.
And quality of the water you are using. I assume you were using tap water, or potable water.
My first thought is.
No1: Air flow,. Or should I say lack of. Try just one tray and collection bottom tray, so they can breath.
Your seeds sound like they do come from a good supply.
I would say try just one seed type (Say Mung beans or Quinoa) in one open tray, after soaking for 12hrs. Rinsing twice.
Keep the collection tank empty of water. rinse twice a day, and drain.
If they take over 3days to start to sprout, we look at this again.
You can study using ACV as a bacteria killer. A lot of people do like using this and it is a solid back up to help keep bacteria down.
It is a worry that you are finding molds that quickly.
My thoughts other than air flow, would of been low quality seed, or too warm temps, or using warm water.
Here in Auckland in winter we have day temps around 15/18c nights 10/13c. I soak and sprout the first two days on the bench in the bird room.
After that they go in the fridge, where they still develop at I think 4c, but a lot slower than outside.

If the above still fails. You could try a strainer in a bowl.
Somewhere either here in this thread, we did have someone with the same issue, and I am sure it was the same type of sprouter.
Which does bring up another thought. How are you cleaning it? Is there any chance that you are not killing the mold on the sprouter once it is there?
I will be watching for your reply in a few days.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
that thing has been scrubbed every which to Sunday so it better not have mold. I 'll try again because I know that the seeds germinate in soil. and soak in cold water with only one tier.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Thanks for that:hehe:
I did have to ask though. I am trying to cover all base's. As there is something turning them bad way too quickly.
Good luck. I will keep an eye out for your next post, hoping we have a positive.
I would also consider rinsing 3x a day for now. Once we have you sprouting you could try rinsing less.
Often here I do get away with only one rinse some days. But not a habit I like. I try to stick to my game plan.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
one of my worries is our city water is horrible tasting and extremely hard. the last time I tested the water it was 489ppm. that is barely below EPA standards. I will have to get some ACV b/4 I try again.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
I have a question.
With these multi tier sprouters. Like Rock'smom has.
HOW DO YOU flush the seeds?

It is very important that when flushing to keep flushing until the water runs clear, every time you flush.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@clawnz ok, I have batch quinoa started in 2 clear tiers. the seeds soaked for 2 + hours, were rinsed out of the glass they were soaked in. then rinsed 3 times with the recommend amount of water (15- 16 ozs.) each time. the warmest place to set them is on top of the frig. they will get rinsed again b/4 I go to bed. flushing the seed in this type of sprouter is the following: pour 15 -16 oz in the top white tier, it slowly trickles down to the next clear tier until it's filled with water the siphon only works with a certain amount of water in the tier, when it get to that amount, it opens to the next tier. the second clear tier (right now I am only using 2 clear tiers, the white starter tier & the white catch basin) fills and drains into catch basin. then I empty that each time.
I'll take picture the next rinse.