• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sprained toes or broken toes?

BakaRikki

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
My rainbow lorikeet, Tori, is not putting any pressure on the back, inner toe of each foot. He lifts it up most of the time, tipi toeing around. He has lost a lot of strength in his foot and any slight movement can cause him to fall of anything he's on (his grip is extremely weak... no matter what, he will not hold any tighter. His toes aren't curled at all as if he isn't trying to hold the perch, your finger or anything he's on...) He was chirpy and loud this morning before I went fruit picking but when I came back, he was unusually quiet for most of the day. If he is forced to use his toes, he would but he cannot grip harder than his other toes which is clearly bad. He will often avoid using the toes if he could. he can climb the cage fine (just a little slower than normal) but when I was on my way to the toilet before I went to sleep, I saw him at the bottom of the cage kicking one of his foot against the corner of the cage, much like a dog after they peed, except, they only kick using one foot. He then climbed back up the cage. He only started having weak grip and unusual looking back inner toes (he leans on it weirdly, almost like it isn't supposed to bend like that). Should I wait it out for a few days before going a vet just in case it's just a sprain, or should I go straight away (even though my parents clearly don't want to cause of the cost of each check)?

Another thing is that when I touch the right, back, inner toe, he doesn't react at all but when I touch the left, back, inner toe, he reacts and immediately gives me a warning bite but doesn't really scream or make a noise like he's in pain...he seems relatively healthy as in he hasn't lost his strength in biting (it still hurts like it usually does), and he still eats normally (or at least it seem so). What do you think I should do? I am extremely worried about him and I hope he gets better asap...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You know your bird. If you are concerned then the best thing to do is take Tori to the vet. Sometimes waiting works out but sometimes it doesn't. The vet can examine and diagnose and then make recommendations.
Hope all will be well with Tori.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope Tori will be okay! I would take him to the vet. You never know, it might end up costing more if you wait.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
If Tori's toe is broken it needs some kind of medical intervention. Waiting to treat a broken bone can means it heals badly and is permanently disfunctional. I would want to know I had done everything I could to insure a good outcome. Falling off her perch forever when it could've been corrected would be a sad thing.

emilija

Moving in
Real Name
emilija
My budgie had the same problem with its whole foot. We asked our vet he said it'll heal by its self, and it did, three weeks later. If you think that the situation is serious, take it to the vet, if not, just leave the bird to rest a lot. Don't let it out of cage as much as you do ( I know it will be hard but its the best way to heal its toes)

Hope it gets better :hug8::xflove:

Sofro

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matilda
I would take it to the vet to be certain. Hope poor Tori gets better!