• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

spotted a lost budgie

Jazzy*

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
hi guys not been on here in sometime been busy working.

the last two days we have seen a green budgie outside our house with the sparrows. I was at work when my mom saw it yesterday, then today when I was with jazzy I looked outside and saw it in the bush also. I got some budgie food today and millet. I set up a little cage with food and treats in hopes it will come back and eat so I can try to catch it. its so cold here in Ontario im in Burlington if anyone has seen any lost green budgies posts let me know.

have not been able to get a pic as it did not stay for long.

any tips on catching a lose bird?

thank you

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think you're doing the right things- cage, food, maybe some water. Hopefully you can catch him. Maybe also contact any local vets or shelters to see if anyone lost a bird.

Birdlovesme

Sprinting down the street
I had a similar situation with a cockatiel recently, he ended up flying elsewhere, someone may have caught him though. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
thanks I contacted the group lost and found birds in Ont, they asked for me to try to get a pic of the budgie to see if its one that's been posted as missing. only saw it once today and im at work all day tomorrow.will add water in the morning for it.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I tried to catch a budgie gone wild this Summer and she would approach any cage, even with my own budgie inside. She kept her distance and I have no opportunity to catch her. I guess if she survived she would have adapted to the cold weather through the automn and found strategies to find food and shelter. Those are parrots, they are clever, but still, that's awfully cold out there for a little bird made to live in Australia...

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I am hoping beyond hope that this little guy will find warmth. It makes me so sad to know he's out there in this cold weather!

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
i was at work all day till now, my dad was able to get up pretty close to her and get a pic. he did not try to catch it then wanted to see how shy it was. will post some pics soon. I am going to try and catch her tomorrow as im off.its so cold here tonight going down to -10 or colder overnight it said.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pretty budgie. Does look like a female based on the cere color. Great that she is still alive and well.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Cute lil budgie.. looks like the female version of my Gary.. I hope you can catch her.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yup, female. Best way is to get a long handled net. Bird may be wild or not but accepted into a flock of sparrows most likely means wild. Hoping you can rescue little girl.

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
not yet going to try in the morning. I may get a butterfly net to use to help catch her tomorrow .

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
hi guys not been on here in sometime been busy working.

the last two days we have seen a green budgie outside our house with the sparrows. I was at work when my mom saw it yesterday, then today when I was with jazzy I looked outside and saw it in the bush also. I got some budgie food today and millet. I set up a little cage with food and treats in hopes it will come back and eat so I can try to catch it. its so cold here in Ontario im in Burlington if anyone has seen any lost green budgies posts let me know.

have not been able to get a pic as it did not stay for long.

any tips on catching a lose bird?

thank you

I'm from Toronto. I remember Burlington as the first stop on the railroad going from Toronto to Windsor when I was a kid! Fond memories for sure!

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
Hi ,

Had no luck today, saw her flying around with the sparrows and in the hedge this morning. then went away in the afternoon. A lady from lost and found parrot group dropped off cage on a stand with a bigger door to help catch her.

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
Yup, female. Best way is to get a long handled net. Bird may be wild or not but accepted into a flock of sparrows most likely means wild. Hoping you can rescue little girl.
yes she seems pretty wild I think she has been out since November sometime .As my dad saw a green bird flying last month. I went up to her this morning with millet in my hand and she flew away from me.i was tying to see if she would come on my hand for the food. years ago I did catch a budgie that way it must of been less wild and more tame.

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
lol yes they are, you have rescued one right ?
thanks I do as well, it seems to be in pretty good shape flying well.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
lol yes they are, you have rescued one right ?
thanks I do as well, it seems to be in pretty good shape flying well.

Well, budgies were originally flying around in the wild so it's not like she is really out of her element, so to speak.
Yes I have a sparrow, Spee.