• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures spots

Rema

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rema
Hey

My three-year-old bird started to have green spots (as shown in the picture). Does anyone know what causes this? 43C1B224-4806-44DA-A8DF-2DDB6972B67B.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Looks like psitticin.

Do you have a pic of your entire bird? I need to see the species and it's mutation.
What is Psitticin?

I can't find anything under that spelling and when I did a search as it just keeps correcting it to Psittacine and brings up PBFD pics.

Edit: I believe it is a lovebird going by looking at what is available and given it is in lovebird lane I am even more inclined to think it def is a lovie.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I agree with Tim.
Some of my Turquoise lovebirds also gained green/yellow spots at a few years old instead of during the first moult.

What is Psitticin?
In short, it is what creates the yellow and red colours. Eumelanin creates the blue.
Wild type lovebirds have both and therefore look green with red faces.
My Sydney has a mutation that has a very large reduction of eumelanin so he looks yellow. And my oher birds have reductions of psittacin so they look blue with white faces (and some have eumelanin reduction on top of that)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Some of my Turquoise lovebirds also gained green/yellow spots at a few years old instead of during the first moult.
To be more specific, one just got green spots in this current, ongoing moult on both wings and they just turned 3 at the beginning of this month.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I agree with Tim.

In short, it is what creates the yellow and red colours. Eumelanin creates the blue.
Wild type lovebirds have both and therefore look green with red faces.
My Sydney has a mutation that has a very large reduction of eumelanin so he looks yellow. And my oher birds have reductions of psittacin so they look blue with white faces (and some have eumelanin reduction on top of that)
Thanks.
None of my searches came up with anything about psitticin- nothing about mutations either - just kept offering alternatives to the word psitticin.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
That´s a typo. Psittacin may be a more fruitful search.
I actually tried that too. I really didn’t get much suggested that wasn’t about psittacine diseases lol.

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Psittacin is responsible for some of the coloring in Lovebirds feathers. It's responsible for the YELLOWS and REDS.
The Blue mutation is where a bird lacks pstittacin. So take a Green Fischer Lovebird for example. A Blue Fischer Lovebird has none of the red or yellow coloring anymore, just a Blue body and white face and nape. The body is Blue because the yellow coloring is removed from the green color.

I know the OP's bird is a Lovebird, I was inquiring which species or mutation. If it's an eyering lovebird, then the bird could be an actual Blue mutation and the spots could be something else. If it's a peachaced, then the Blue mutation doesn't exist and the spots would be caused by psittacin ramping up in the Turquoise body.

Last edited:

Rema

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rema
Looks like psitticin.

Do you have a pic of your entire bird? I need to see the species and it's mutation.
hello

To be more specific, one just got green spots in this current, ongoing moult on both wings and they just turned 3 at the beginning of this month.
same as my lovebird ,check the pictures, is it what you mean?

Attachments

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Your beautiful bird is a Peachfaced Lovebird. There is no genetic Blue mutation in Peachfaced like there is in Blackmasked and Fischer Lovebirds. The only colors that exist in Peachfaced lovebirds are Green and Parblue (Partial Blue). Over the years, breeders were able to breed the yellow out of Parblue birds to mimic the Blue mutation. Genetically the bird is still a Parblue, but it looks like a Blue. Unfortunately the bird is still what it is, and sometimes as the bird matures a limited amount of the yellowing substance will be produced and show in your birds feathers. This is about as simple as I can make this, so I hope you understand. :)