• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Spot under cockatiel beak

gonenow

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
I'll preface this by saying I do have an appointment to see a vet tomorrow (non-avian but who has been good in the past with my birds, will probably also check into avian vet next week but it's quite a distance away) but really curious if anybody recognising what's going on with my cockatiel. She has a really dark spot either on her beak/just below it, it's kind of hard to tell but I'll upload some pictures. She hasn't had a night fright or anything and this spot wasn't there yesterday.

I originally thought a small blood feather was pulled out by the other bird as there's a loose feather hanging but then there's no blood spots on the cage floor or anywhere on her body. Luckily she is eating and drinking okay at the moment.

Attachments

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Looks like a scab to me..did she get into anything that you know of? Could be from a blood feather that bled a bit..Try to wash it off if you can with a warm water soaked Qtip..that way you can really see what it is.

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
I agree with @Birdbabe that it looks like a scab or something stuck on the outside of the beak. It's hard to tell from the pictures though. If a q-tip doesn't work just try bathing and see if it starts coming off :) If it doesn't just fall off hopefully the vet tomorrow can help!

gonenow

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
The two birds I have don't fight or anything and there's been no flying into walls or anything, night frights etc and it definitely wasn't there yesterday as I do give my birds a visual once over before they're allowed to come out of the cage to play. Unfortunately, it's a bit difficult to wash it like you suggested as she's VERY feisty and it's near impossible for one person to restrain her AND be using your free hand for something else :p hoping we can get a closer look at the vets tomorrow with two of us just wondered if anyone had seen or experienced similar.

PS: she is tame to sit on your hand, shoulder etc but as soon as she thinks she's going to be examined or restrained, she's off haha

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
The two birds I have don't fight or anything and there's been no flying into walls or anything, night frights etc and it definitely wasn't there yesterday as I do give my birds a visual once over before they're allowed to come out of the cage to play. Unfortunately, it's a bit difficult to wash it like you suggested as she's VERY feisty and it's near impossible for one person to restrain her AND be using your free hand for something else :p hoping we can get a closer look at the vets tomorrow with two of us just wondered if anyone had seen or experienced similar.

PS: she is tame to sit on your hand, shoulder etc but as soon as she thinks she's going to be examined or restrained, she's off haha
She's a smart girl and can tell when something is up o_O
:laugh: Well then it's good you have the appointment lined up for tomorrow! Let us know how it goes!

gonenow

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Yeah they're both very intelligent, the other one used to be able to jailbreak the cage haha it's funny people use the term "bird brain" when calling people stupid but these two are very smart lol and thanks, hopefully it's not something to be too worried about

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Could it be dried food if some sort? I hope tomorrow goes well, and it's nothing to worry about!