• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent spitting up whole pellets

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
My Linnie just spit up 5 or 6 completely undigested pellets. This was the first time he had food from a new pack of pellets. Exact same ones we had before but the pellets in this bag seemed a bit bigger. I'm worried about him. His cage mate seems completely fine.

After this episode he went back to his cage and drank a bunch of water and is now preening.

The food is in the garbage, but do I have to be worried, clearly he swallowed a bunch without chewing it at all.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I would just watch him. If he seems fine then you are probably okay but if you see ANY other symptoms or it happens again. I would check with a vet.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Do you think he regurgitated or vomited? Regurgitating looks controlled- like he's forcing something out of his throat. It's possible maybe they pellets were too big? Not sure. Vomiting is usually accompanied with head shaking and is more spastic looking. If it's vomiting, I think a vet check is always needed. If he regurgitated, I would just watch him closely for now. Also maybe do a search to see if any problems were reported with the pellets? I hope he's okay.

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
I would say regurgitated. I think they were too big. Do you know, do birds eat their pellets whole or grind them up?

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Some birds grind them up. Mine like to make dust out of some of theirs.

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
Some birds grind them up. Mine like to make dust out of some of theirs.
Ok, just trying to figure out if it is normal for a bird to have swallowed so many pieces of food whole.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
What kind/size pellets are you using.
Guess they should not swallow the pellets whole in the first place.
Watch & have the bird checked out if need be but guess I would get smaller pellets for this bird.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Sounds like he may have only just regurgitated. Id he more worried if he threw up vomit. Which is partially digested food. Throwing up food directly from the crop sounds more like regurgitation to me.

One of my birds eats pellets whole. Opa. And he'll eat any kind of pellet I offer him and swallow whole.

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
Ok good to know that other birds just swallow. Jasper seems to swallow his pellets whole while Buttercup appears to chew.

I am ticked off because these were tropican pellets, meant for parakeets, but in this package the pellets were so much larger than previous bags of the same food. I'm mad at myself for even putting them in their food dish, and so very glad the goof didn't choke!

For now back to the Zupreme for budgies, but I don't like the colours as it makes their poop stain our clothes. Anyone know of a very small pellet that is not colored? I didn't have a lot of options at petsmart.

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
Orrrrr, maybe it's just that he's just learned to regurgitate. I don't know their exact age, but it's close to 1 year give or take a couple months. This whole episode did happen on my shoulder......

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Harrison fine is pretty small but not sure if a fruity bird food lover would like them. They also make superfine so maybe you can check the sizes & try that. Its good food if your birds will eat it.
Not a fan of Roudybush but they have crumbles. sort of mashed pellets.

I like Higgins in tune all natural colored/flavored pellets but don't think they make it sized for keets.

I guess I might email tropican to ask if they changed the size of the pellets & maybe get a coupon for a replacement.

You could try to order the food & get more selection that the local petshops.
Dr Fosters used to free over $19 but now its $50...:sad4: Glad I just ordered Rios before the change.
Still I think they charge a low flat rate of $6.99 for orders under $50 which is one of the most economical shipping available.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I fed my Linnies Roudybush nibbles. They are the smallest size they make and were fine. Had to buy them on like though (Amazon) because they can be hard to find.