• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Spike has an E. coli infection?

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I've always been super worried that one day we'd have a sick bird..
Unfortunately Spike has somehow come down with an infection. I wonder if it could be from
when she goes down in her cage and picks at her own feces? When I see this I put her back on a perch.

Either way we noticed her vent had become very dirty, especially all the fluff she has around the area
We called our regular vet but they were booked until the 23rd so we went with one in Seattle to get her seen.

We did the blood and culture tests and they said she has an E. coli infection.
They're going to see if what antibiotics they have her on will be strong enough to get rid of it or if we need a stronger one- and they said she can't eat seed (including millet and Nutriberries)
Because she's older and she has high cholesterol. I thought she would always need a little though?
And she's going to be really mad about the no millet/nutriberry thing..which we'll have to deal with I guess.

Has anyone else's bird come down with this?? I'm really worried. She is 20-21 years old :sad1:
20161222_154029.jpg

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
Another thing. She LOVES her heated perch, but she's starting to get sores on her feet because she refuses to sleep on her natural ones
The heat was supposed to ease her arthritis, Spike is spending too much time on it now. What perches would be good for her sore feet during breaks from the heated one?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I mean, cholesterol is really not well understood in humans, but dietary fat and cholesterol has been found NOT to affect blood cholesterol. Lack of exercise has been shown to have a much higher impact.

Gizmo had arthritis, and really liked BIG rope perches, BIG round perches, and flat perches. You could also try wrapping a perch with fleece and hot gluing it on where she can't chew on the glue.

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
Lack of exercise can very well be an issue.. Spike never has motivation to move unless she wants a change of view (which, has stopped due to her being sick and favoring the heated perch)
or wants to eat/drink. We do try to get her to flap her wings a little bit without stressing her out too much some days.

She also really doesn't do much with her toys either. Just picks at one of her shoelace toys and taps her bell
I'll take a look at some more perches and see what she likes the most

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, I'm sorry she's sick! I hope the meds work and she feels better soon!
:sadhug2:

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's not uncommon for birds to get infections from time to time. It sounds like the vet is doing the appropriate tests to get her on the right medication and get her better. Please don't try to change her diet while she's sick -- her body doesn't need the added stress from that transition.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If your bird has arthritis really likes the heated perch, don't take it away from her. Just wrap it with fleece, so it is softer on her feet.

Yes, both of my birds have had E. Coli (they have had everything). Hank had an antibiotic resistant strain of E. Coli and it was a btch to get rid of. It was so long ago now that I can't remember which antibiotic we used. Your Dr., I hope is doing a culture and sensitivity to determine which antibiotics the bug is sensitive to.

Hope she gets better soon.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I agree with the rope perches being good for an older tiel's feet. I would also ask your vet about giving Spike probiotics. I believe they helped my senior tiel a lot. I hope Spike gets better soon.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Oh dear, get well soon, Spike!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
She is 20-21 years old
and they said she can't eat seed (including millet and Nutriberries)
You don't make so big change to an old bird diet so you remove things. You can feed less, but don't remove things.
Some of the seeds are really healthy so not all seeds are bad.
Lack of exercise can very well be an issue..
That is more what I think is the problem.

I hope she soon is well again! ♥

Please don't try to change her diet while she's sick -- her body doesn't need the added stress from that transition.
Agree! :) Now will be the worst time ever.