• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Spent more time with charlie the goffin today

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
he warmed up a little more to me today then tthe last visit. we even had some play time and him showing off his jumping around on the floor skills lol!
altho i did not get bite today as i started to learn his behaviour and body launage a little more, he did try and peck my neon bright toes when he was really worked up from playing.
i still have a few more visits this week/next week but im thinking next weekend we may actually bring him home. i know how much work he can and will be, but ive fallen inlove with him and that intresting , yet amazing personality of his!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
he warmed up a little more to me today then tthe last visit. we even had some play time and him showing off his jumping around on the floor skills lol!
altho i did not get bite today as i started to learn his behaviour and body launage a little more, he did try and peck my neon bright toes when he was really worked up from playing.
i still have a few more visits this week/next week but im thinking next weekend we may actually bring him home. i know how much work he can and will be, but ive fallen inlove with him and that intresting , yet amazing personality of his!

:cupid: Oh you've been bitten all right! :D

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
:cupid: Oh you've been bitten all right! :D
that i have! haha, ill post a photo of the cutie, the female goffin he lives with atm, is a plucker and has recently started to barber/pluck him but even with some missing feathers ( mainly his tail and wings) he is just amazing, oh and hes lacking a crest atm lol!
today he was doing 180 jumps on the floor showing off and peaking the ground to the beat of the music,
so far everytime we have visited hes been on his best behaviour lol, ive been told he can be loud at times, but havent yet heard a pep lol so im waiting for the lovely shrills of a cockatoo to come out of him!
i originally wasn't looking for a cockatoo, even tho i adore the species as a whole, afterr everything ive been told and read i was a little nervous, but when the owners contacted me and we were in the same city, my fiance told me to just go look, whats the worst that could happen LOL who would of thought id fall head over heels for him, even after the first 5 mins of meeting the first day he chomped my finger hard enough it bruised and swelled!

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Oh, wow, he is adorable. I really hope everything works out and he gets a new home and you a new feathered friend. Thanks for giving him a second chance! :)

lyx

Sprinting down the street
Awww he looks like such a little cutie! even without his crest :xflove: I hope you get to bring him home soon!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Awww poor Charlie he's so cute! I hope you get him soon!

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
Awww poor Charlie he's so cute! I hope you get him soon!
Either Friday or Saturday next week!
i wanted a weekend when my twins will be gone for the weekend so the house isnt to choatic!
but were going to pick up a cage this weekend and start to get it all ready for next weekend!!
and i need to do some research on helping to grow back those missing feathers!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
thats the main reason why they are rehoming him, im just hoping even tho they dont get along , he wont be extremely stressed leaving the other bird
Any new home will always be stressful, but I agree, I hope his transition will go as smoothly for him (and you) as can be. He will probably still be sad to lose his friend but you will be there for him. :) As much as he may miss her, he deserved to not be plucked for the rest of his life; that has to hurt! :(

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
Any new home will always be stressful, but I agree, I hope his transition will go as smoothly for him (and you) as can be. He will probably still be sad to lose his friend but you will be there for him. :) As much as he may miss her, he deserved to not be plucked for the rest of his life; that has to hurt! :(
im hoping transition will be good! but he will be coming into a home that will love him lots, and give him the best life possible!
calling the vet tomarrow to get him in for a check up after we get him home , so maye then can also help me towards getting his feathers back as nice as possible!
i think my biggest concern tho is, he hasnt been caged in 2 years, as the owners right now have a tiny sunroom where there 2 goffins, and i think its a crow are ( first time ive ever seen or heard of a "pet" crow)
and so coming to my house where altho i am home all day everyday, he will be caged at night. so im hoping so badly that it doesnt affect him to badly.
so im on the hunt for a large cage, as the cage they are sending with him, is a little to small for him. i may end up using it tho as a sleep cage, since he will be in the livingroom but it wont be neccisarily quite by the time he would go to bed

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Whatever you do he will be fine, just be consistent with what you do. We started routines with Freddy and discovered he does not like change. Lol but sometimes I can't help it, so I have had things to work out that way. I have picked up some books on cockatoos and became more familiar with their body language. When I started doing some things back to him, he was so excited, started bobbing wildly, and even did a little twirl with his body in 1 spot lol.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
A little tip I found and didn't think of but is simple. My Freddy is also around in the living quarters of my house when we are home. He is only caged when he can't be watched. Sometimes he prefers to be left alone, at first I found this alarming but now I know is just Freddy. Anyway, I have fleece throws in the rooms where Freddy goes, I spread them out on the chair or sofa he prefers. Then when he chews, it's the fleece throw. I still redirect him with a small wood block or paper towel roll ring, (he's afraid of the paper towel roll), but at least it's not stressful when he pulls at the throw. When I read that, I knew I already had 3 of those in the closet!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I have fleece throws in the rooms where Freddy goes, I spread them out on the chair or sofa he prefers. Then when he chews, it's the fleece throw. I still redirect him with a small wood block or paper towel roll ring, (he's afraid of the paper towel roll), but at least it's not stressful when he pulls at the throw. When I read that, I knew I already had 3 of those in the closet!
Me, too! I bought a few yards of no-pill fleece at Hobby Lobby (with the 40% off mobile coupon) cut a few large sections & do the same with Luv Bug. When she's playing with her bowl of toy parts, she likes to roll the toys into fabric. I thought it was harlmess at first, but then her sharp beak started wearing holes in my shirts! Now I lay the fleece across my lap & it does double duty by helping to catch some of her beads from falling between the sofa cushions. :tup:

Here she is tucking a blue bead and an orange spool into the collar of my shirt.
0209181610g-1.jpg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
thanks for the tip! im going to run to fabric land and get some fleece!
Make sure it is non pilling fleece. Also be sure to wash it beforehand and if you see him ripping it and shredding it then take it away. Some birds will swallow pieces of material.