• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Specific type of foraging toy

Big Badeepie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Victor
Alright, so Nero, my green cheek, is a little forager bird. Problem is that he tries to forage from the cage tray. Needless to say I do not like him doing this and it doesn't matter how clean the tray is or how much food is in the dishes, he still does it. I get that he enjoys foraging and I want to give him a better option to forage from.

Problem is, he has no interest in the foraging toys I've found for him. It seems he is only interested in foraging if he gets to stick his little leg down into openings and dig for what he wants. Very picky in how he forages, adorable little goofball.

So far I haven't been able to find a foraging toy that fits this specific need. Does anyone know where I may be able to find a toy that I can fill up with treats but has safe sized holes in the top that he could stick his little foot into so he can dig through the treats for what he wants?

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
You could hang some small foraging buckets in the cage..one of mine loves to dig and feel with his foot..the buckets are used a lot..

Also, if he wouldn't chew it, I know some people sprinkle things in those grass mats for the smaller birds to search through.

I've seen little 'toy boxes' that attach to the side of the cage and he can certainly jump in one of those and search. Just fill with non food items too.

Big Badeepie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Victor
He may like the treats in the grass mat thing. . .kinda wonder if it would work to place a grass mat on top of a shallow tray of food and toys for him to get stuff out from under it. Imma have to try that. See how long that mat lasts between him and his tweetheart, Virgina.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You could probably rig something up with a cookie sheet and a some wire shelving?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I actually have what I need to make a grass mat foraging box. I bought the stuff to do it and never got around to it. I could try and put them up for the sidewalk sale (this coming weekend) if you or anyone else is interested.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I meant to say that I like the cookies sheet idea too. Maybe use a cooling rack and a cookie sheet.

Big Badeepie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Victor
I actually have what I need to make a grass mat foraging box. I bought the stuff to do it and never got around to it. I could try and put them up for the sidewalk sale (this coming weekend) if you or anyone else is interested.
That would be pretty awesome. Sadly I don't get paid til Monday, ugh. But I'm sure others would love them too.

I do like the cookie sheet idea. Could at least be used a basis. Ugh I really wish I knew where my tools are in storage! I could prolly figure out a hard wood or acrylic base/food holder and use some balsa wood or something of the like as a chewable barrier for him to dig through and chew at. Never realise how much you need your tools til you don't got 'em.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
That would be pretty awesome. Sadly I don't get paid til Monday, ugh. But I'm sure others would love them too.

I do like the cookie sheet idea. Could at least be used a basis. Ugh I really wish I knew where my tools are in storage! I could prolly figure out a hard wood or acrylic base/food holder and use some balsa wood or something of the like as a chewable barrier for him to dig through and chew at. Never realise how much you need your tools til you don't got 'em.
Tool are very important ☺

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
What is a grass mat foraging box? My search gave me multiple answers that have me confused. :confused:
At least my bird hasn't figured out the grate. She likes to grab the newspaper with her beak and remove it piece by shredded piece on the floor outside of the cage. I make sure no newspapers are in her reach.

I use the containers at craft stores that have separate dividers to put toys and treats in for the birds to find, plastic containers to sort out fishing worms would work too probably. Some of these might make a good base to put something like a seagrass mat over. Just an idea.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]