• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Specific Meal times or Free For All? How do you feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I have wondered that exact thing. That by having too much food out and all the time can make them "careless" for lack of a better word, in regards to their food. Bored. Etc. I think I know where I need to go now. Thanks.
That is my thinking also. They do not have food available all the time in the wild. They need to fly long and hard many times to acquire food and when they finally get there they make sure they eat a full meal before moving on.

One other thing with food management is that you need to be very consistent with feeding times and places so they can learn and expect it just like any other routine you are trying to establish.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That is my thinking also. They do not have food available all the time in the wild. They need to fly long and hard many times to acquire food and when they finally get there they make sure they eat a full meal before moving on.

One other thing with food management is that you need to be very consistent with feeding times and places so they can learn and expect it just like any other routine you are trying to establish.
That's fair - I do give my birds a measured amount of food, so they only get what they can eat in a day. If they eat it all...well, that's their own fault :p

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue

That's fair - I do give my birds a measured amount of food, so they only get what they can eat in a day. If they eat it all...well, that's their own fault :p
Haha- I will admit there was a learning curve on how much they would eat, but I way overdid it. If they have more, they don't necessarily eat more, especially a sick one like I had.

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
But in my case we are dealing with birds that were junk food junkies that we have worked very hard and long to change. To say that it took a long time is an understatement.
No it isn't easy...but the results are sure worth it. :)

Haha- I will admit there was a learning curve on how much they would eat, but I way overdid it. If they have more, they don't necessarily eat more, especially a sick one like I had.
Just note, as John points out you need to be consistent and around when using this method. To learn how much they eat, just weigh their bowl/s before you put them in and when you take them out over a weekly period to obtain an average. :)

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes. Will do. I am around, so that's good. Have a gram scale, check! Read Gerard's New Years Pellet Conversion Project, check check! :rofl: Oops, spelled that coercion project the first time. Sigmund? Zat you?

Status
Not open for further replies.