• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Special needs aMazon

greytlove

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
4B8501FD-B7B7-4277-AFE7-305FB5D3479A.jpeg

The owners of a local exotic store are trying to find a home for this sweet pea named “stilts.” He’s either 8 or 18 years old, has two non-working feet, sores on his ankles, and a slight growth above his right nare. It’s taking everything in me to not bring him home.

Medical bills aside, what are your best tricks for disabled birds? Would fleece help with the sores? How mobile are your birds?

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a disabled bird with a missing leg and very limited function of his remaining leg. Fleece has been a lifesaver, even though his foot is always inflamed. He's very immobile, sitting in one spot unless I move him. If you decide to bring him home, it'll be well worth it, for both of you. I have a lot of information on my page dealing with this very same challenge.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Poor baby.....

greytlove

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
I have a disabled bird with a missing leg and very limited function of his remaining leg. Fleece has been a lifesaver, even though his foot is always inflamed. He's very immobile, sitting in one spot unless I move him. If you decide to bring him home, it'll be well worth it, for both of you. I have a lot of information on my page dealing with this very same challenge.
How do you provide enough enrichment if he never moves? And exercise? He’s a chunk of an Amazon on an all seed diet, and I worry about getting him to a healthy weight and body condition (without handicaps even part of the consideration). I do like how you have his cage set up!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How do you provide enough enrichment if he never moves? And exercise? He’s a chunk of an Amazon on an all seed diet, and I worry about getting him to a healthy weight and body condition (without handicaps even part of the consideration). I do like how you have his cage set up!
It's still an ongoing process. Prior to me adopting him, he spent his life as an aviary breeder with no human contact, so even after a year, he's still afraid of anything new. When it comes to toys, I attach them to the side of the cage so he can reach them and over time, he's learned to play with them. I'm still working on teaching him to forage but for the most part, he doesn't know how to. Usually, if his food isn't within reach, he gives up.
To help Java exercise, everyday I pick him up and hold him on his back just so he has the opportunity to scratch his head, which he can't do alone. And, to encourage him to move, I'll remove him from his cage and place him about a foot away from me. He doesn't like being on the floor and is very clingy, so he immediately crawls over to me so I can pick him up, but I don't. I let him climb up my leg and into my lap. He doesn't know how to fly, so that's something else we'll have to work on in due time.
I try to keep in mind that his handicap takes a lot out of him when he does decide to move around, so I try to keep my expectations low. Even just flapping a few times leaves him breathless. I'm in the process of having him fitted for a prosthetic, so I'm hoping that will give him the confidence to begin moving around.

harpersmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ania
Oh, poor baby! I wish I could just snap a finger and he’d be better. :(

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Fuzzy's Chico is an elderly Amazon with mobility problems - she may also have some advice.

greytlove

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
I’m heading back today with my husband to discuss taking him home. He has no medical records or history outside of his mysterious potential age(s). I can’t help but bleed for him, but gotta make sure we can support the poor dude. Im worried that we would bite more off than we can chew financially.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m heading back today with my husband to discuss taking him home. He has no medical records or history outside of his mysterious potential age(s). I can’t help but bleed for him, but gotta make sure we can support the poor dude. Im worried that we would bite more off than we can chew financially.
Hope everything works out for you and the amazon.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
That is an important consideration. He is a sweet little one, so I know it is a hard choice to make. In terms of his medical care is it possible to have an avian vet see him and work out a care plan so that you could understand what his life long medical needs are ahead of time? Even if it was outside of what you could offer the information would be valuable for a possible adoption. It is only an idea.

I hope he finds a bright and enriched future. :bluhug:

katebf38

Sprinting down the street
My heart aches for him. I wondered if some kind of support could be fashioned (like for splayed legged birds) where the pressure of his body could be raised off his damaged limbs and keep him up out of his own poop. Some crafty vet techs needed.

greytlove

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
That is an important consideration. He is a sweet little one, so I know it is a hard choice to make. In terms of his medical care is it possible to have an avian vet see him and work out a care plan so that you could understand what his life long medical needs are ahead of time? Even if it was outside of what you could offer the information would be valuable for a possible adoption. It is only an idea.

I hope he finds a bright and enriched future. :bluhug:
Exactly. Financially I know we would be fine right now, but we're looking to foster humans in the near future-- and unfortunately humans come before animals (sometimes). My husband is also not a fan of clutter and mess, and I am admittedly a walking hurricane-- nevermind the parrot! I do wonder if they'd let me just take him for a checkup or if that would be overreaching. I haven't felt comfortable telling this store that their husbandry is horrendous. They've been in business a long time and the has been owner breeding birds on the side for longer than I've been alive. I don't think they'd take well to my meddling, but I do ache to see him eat more than sunflower seeds.

My heart aches for him. I wondered if some kind of support could be fashioned (like for splayed legged birds) where the pressure of his body could be raised off his damaged limbs and keep him up out of his own poop. Some crafty vet techs needed.
I live within a couple hours of A&M Vet school-- I wonder if they've had any luck with birdy prosthetics. Hmmm.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
@greytlove

"My husband is also not a fan of clutter and mess, and I am admittedly a walking hurricane-- nevermind the parrot!"

Here too. Love conquers lots of things, doesn't it?

"I do wonder if they'd let me just take him for a checkup or if that would be overreaching."

Ask. Tell them you're considering adopting but want the vet to tell you the worst case scenario money wise that you could be out for 10 years BASED ON YOUR VETS PHYSICAL EXAMINATION. Worst they can say is no .....and if you tell them you're covering the cost of the exam, why would they???

"I live within a couple hours of A&M Vet school-- I wonder if they've had any luck with birdy prosthetics. Hmmm."

Call. Ask. What does it hurt?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I agree just try asking. You can live with a 'NO', but at least you tried. You have nothing to lose.

:birdance:You got this!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Mole skin works great for feet and leg issues. I've used on the underside of wings for raw patches on toos.