• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Special need Alex

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
just opened my home to a second Alex this one a special needs boy. I picked him up this morning and he has Been eating since he got here, Mixed veggie chop & seed/pellets/grain mix, he is also drinking well. Apparently all he had to eat is sweet potato and sun flower seeds.
His fethers ain't the best and he is shaking when he steps up on you, and he has balans issues. He is truly a sweetheart though. Will let him seattle in for a few days than off to the vet for a health check.
Already exploring his cage and trying out the toys which is nice.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks for taking him in :heart: It good to hear you'll be taking him to the vets. I know with a mostly sun seed diet you have to worry about liver problems :( But I hope he gets a clean bill of from your vet and you figure out what's causing him to shake :)

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
Thanks for taking him in :heart: It good to hear you'll be taking him to the vets. I know with a mostly sun seed diet you have to worry about liver problems :( But I hope he gets a clean bill of from your vet and you figure out what's causing him to shake :)
He is 2 years old and apperently has done it since he was a chick, he is 2 years old to me it looks like a bit of brain damage.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Thanks you taking him in.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
He is 2 years old and apperently has done it since he was a chick, he is 2 years old to me it looks like a bit of brain damage.
I'm so sorry to hear that :( I'm glad he has you :heart: Please keep us updated and Thank you taking him in

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
He has issues gripping with his feet, he seem to take a double take each time, like his feet doesn't seem to obey him the first time, and his flock call doesn't sound like a totally "normal" Alex call. He also has no his weird head twist, where he twists his head very quickly in one direction than the other almost like in an 8 motion while lifting up one leg than the other. Thinking that part might just have been created by boredom. However like I said he appears to be a sweetheart and he came over to me straight away for scratches when I picked him up.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Weird resting position but it takes all kinds :heart:
From your description and the picture I am going to guess some type of neurological issues.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you for helping him.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking Alex into your home.

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
I haven't seen those weird head movements today but he has been very busy with all the toys so that makes me think that part is behaviour. He has basically spent all his time the last year on a perch with 2 food bowls no toys no nothing. That is when he wasn't in his cage which was bare beside food bowls that is. Today he has again spent The time not playing eating. He likes all veggies and fruit that I tried so far so all good on that department.

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
Benji or Big Bird as my room mate has named him is doing very well considering. He eats and drinks well, he isn't as much in a food frenzy as he was in when he came last weekend. Sorry to say my room mate broke the quarentin by mistake, he went in to give big bird and almond and he had Sunny out, so Sunny promptly flew in after him into the room then out to other birds. I wasn't happy but it is what it is! So now all the birds are together in the living room. (In separate cages) I'm hoping Oscar and Benji will be able to live together in the future) they are getting on like a house on fire, no aggression at all. So good too that Benji seem to mirror Oscars behaviour and he is so animated not catatonic like he was when he arrived.
. IMG_5981.JPG Benji aka Big bird. IMG_5948.JPG Benji and Oscar. IMG_5938.JPG

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
What a handsome boy.

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
Things are slowly moving forward Benji's fethers are slowly getting healther. He eats his veggies and fruit without issues and he hangs out with Oscar for hours without any aggression at all. It's like they lived their whole life together.
IMG_6060.JPG

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Things are slowly moving forward Benji's fethers are slowly getting healther. He eats his veggies and fruit without issues and he hangs out with Oscar for hours without any aggression at all. It's like they lived their whole life together.
View attachment 258913

They are complete together, just beautiful.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
:heart:He looks like a different bird compared to the first photos.

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
This is the boys today, playing with toys together. When Benji starts with his stress behaviour (crying like a baby and moving his head in a 8 shape+ rocking from leg to leg) I wrap him lightly in a tea towel and place him on my chest and he place his head against my heart and I stroke his head. He close his eyes and relaxes. Today when doing it Oscar came flying over and tried to get in under tea towel with Benji they are so cute together and Benji is so healthy looking these days :heart:
14AB1117-3713-43FF-A8E3-B700F5A5EE48.jpeg C84A7E89-070C-4C47-9F75-EE5477E3DB6B.jpeg

Last edited: