• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Special and non special needs in the same cage?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Geralt really misses Triss big-time. I was wondering if they could possibly live in his cage together once he's fully recovered and she abandons her eggs? I know I'll have to remove his cardboard hut if they move in together to prevent breeding and provide additional food and water sites.

Even after a month apart, they seem really close to one another. Since I've started letting him fly again, all he wants to do is sit on her cage to catch a glimpse of her when she comes out of her nest to eat and drink. She's still comfortable with him, and he's the only bird she doesn't chase off of her cage. Even with his disability she shows no signs of being aggressive nor does she bully him. It's still too early to tell, of course. They both need a good 2-3 weeks at least.

I just want to know if allowing her to move in if she wants to after he's at a normal weight would be alright? Would she have difficulties maneuvering around the cage? Geralt has a 20x20x40 long cage.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Karija

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
If they do not bully each other, it would probably be fine. I've housed specials with other specials and with non-special needs GCCs and haven't had any troubles. My first pairing was two GCCs with different needs - one was elderly, blind and had missing toes/perching issues and the other has a balled up foot. They both did fine together. The younger one grew to prefer the platform perches and liked the set up I had for the blind bird and she would come down to the lower parts of the cage where the older one tended to hang out. When the elderly bird passed I got a male that is non-special needs. He shares a cage with my girl with the bad foot. They get along fine. I added in some more regular perches to the cage and he seems to prefer those to platforms, but they have their joint hang out spots that work for both of them. So long as the cage set up isn't problematic for two birds (keep in mind, if you have like padded bottoms to the cage or something you'll have double the poop to clean up) and they get along, shouldn't be a reason to not allow it, especially if they are wanting to be together anyway.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I wouldn't worry about the special vs. the non-special as much as I would worry about who is moving into whose cage.

In people context, having a sibling stop by in one's room is one thing but moving into it is a completely different kettle of fish. I'm afraid that birds sometimes have the same outlook; you can visit my cage and hang out but God forbid you think of moving in. THIS IS MY SPACE! :watching:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I wouldn't worry about the special vs. the non-special as much as I would worry about who is moving into whose cage.

In people context, having a sibling stop by in one's room is one thing but moving into it is a completely different kettle of fish. I'm afraid that birds sometimes have the same outlook; you can visit my cage and hang out but God forbid you think of moving in. THIS IS MY SPACE! :watching:
Geralt has been rather good with birds coming and going from his cage. Even with his new cage, he's comfortable with the other birds coming for a visit (under supervision, naturally).

I was thinking of trying to move either Triss or Hawke into his cage. Yen is way too protective of her things for it to work, which is a shame, considering how much fun they have together. Triss defends her cage from everyone BUT Geralt, and Hawke is a pure sweetheart who is too good for this world. Mims and Guz are also very good with him, but they're bonded and do like their personal space from time to time. My only reservation with Triss- besides my concerns about her getting around- is her size. She's basically a giant tank bird, and he's a waif.

If they do not bully each other, it would probably be fine. I've housed specials with other specials and with non-special needs GCCs and haven't had any troubles. My first pairing was two GCCs with different needs - one was elderly, blind and had missing toes/perching issues and the other has a balled up foot. They both did fine together. The younger one grew to prefer the platform perches and liked the set up I had for the blind bird and she would come down to the lower parts of the cage where the older one tended to hang out. When the elderly bird passed I got a male that is non-special needs. He shares a cage with my girl with the bad foot. They get along fine. I added in some more regular perches to the cage and he seems to prefer those to platforms, but they have their joint hang out spots that work for both of them. So long as the cage set up isn't problematic for two birds (keep in mind, if you have like padded bottoms to the cage or something you'll have double the poop to clean up) and they get along, shouldn't be a reason to not allow it, especially if they are wanting to be together anyway.
I'm glad to hear it can work. Geralt really seems to dislike being alone in his cage. I let him out much sooner than I wanted to because he was miserable and desperate to escape and be around everyone.

I'm not worried about the padded bottom, either. I put paper ontop to make it easier to clean.

Karija

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
What concerns do you have about Triss getting around the set up in Geralt's cage? Are you just concerned because it's a wider cage vs. taller?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I agree with the others, if Triss is Nice to him it is possible I think:) When Henkie had barely any use of his legs he had to be caged, my cockatiel Tiki would be in his cage for hour long visits while I was there. I did take him out when I left though, because that cage wasn’t that big and had lots of hammocks with no perches:lol:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
What concerns do you have about Triss getting around the set up in Geralt's cage? Are you just concerned because it's a wider cage vs. taller?
I'm probably just being a worry wart here, but she's a huge bird. I'm worried that once it's set up, it might be too busy for her, or might encourage her to get nesty, now that I think of it. She had two back to back clutches recently, so I'm not sure if it would be the best idea...

Hawke might be the man for the job, so to speak.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Have you been taking her eggs away or replacing them with fakes?
I let her keep them. Her prior owner pulled her too early and threw them away. I'm kind of worried that she'll have a third clutch if I take them before she abandons them or if i try to replace them.

She may have had more than just the one or two I know if before I bought her as well. Her last owner really knew nothing about birds.

Karija

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Can always let Hawke and Triss spend a bit of time visiting Geralt in his cage and see who seems to get around the best in there and how they do with him (and how he does with them!) in his territory. I've less experience with nesting, but I'd think having access to nesting materials or spaces would be a bigger issue than the size of the cage.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Can always let Hawke and Triss spend a bit of time visiting Geralt in his cage and see who seems to get around the best in there and how they do with him (and how he does with them!) in his territory. I've less experience with nesting, but I'd think having access to nesting materials or spaces would be a bigger issue than the size of the cage.
It'll have to wait until Triss is off her eggs or after I bring Hawke for a check-up at the vet to make sure he's healthy, but that is a good idea. After thinking it over, though, I'm thinking Hawke might be my best bet, though. As much as I'd like to reunite Geralt and Triss, I'm starting to worry about her health. Geralt has this little cardboard hut and these shallow dishes she could potentially see as nesting sites when/if she gets hormonal.