• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Special-abled fish?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So I know it's kind of a weird question, but does anyone have any experience with special-abled fish?

I have a fish in my glofish tank, and his behavior leads me to think he has neurological issues. He swims in circles and in patterns, and swims at weird angles sometimes. I find it very possible that it's the result of mass-inbreeding from the pet trade.

I'd like to make sure that he's as safe and comfy as possible. He's in with 3 other fish (also all glofish, all are fine neurologically.) and a few ramshorn snails for clean-up. Right now, all that's in there (except for the heater and filter and air stone) is a very thin layer of black sand on the bottom, and a couple of pieces of slate to spice it up (one weighs down the air stone, it's one of those ring ones).

So, thoughts? I had gravel but he started getting himself shoved into corners and stuff. Similar happened with decorations. Anything I can do to accommodate him better?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I don´t have much fish knowledge but I agree that a neurological issue sounds plausible:) I have heard of fish that were kept in small round tanks and kept swimming in circles even after getting a new tank, could the pet store have kept him in one of those? Maybe he would like some low plants or something? My grandfather has a black tetra who misses a piece of his gill, he originally lived in my tank and is over 6 years old at the least, he is my favorite:D I used to have a fish who was literally bend, he had a 90 degree hook in his body. He was my favorite as well, I have a weak spot for those silly fish:heart:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I have heard of fish that were kept in small round tanks and kept swimming in circles even after getting a new tank, could the pet store have kept him in one of those?
I don't think that's it, as the store I got him from only keeps fish in rectangular tanks (except for the main display tank, which is a bowfront but only has larger fish in it). I know that the company that breeds these fish is something of a giant in the pet industry. So I wouldn't doubt if profit is prioritized over ethics.

Maybe he would like some low plants or something?
It's possible, but he gets stuck in everything, I just had to move my heater because he got under it and freaked out. I have some java fern, but the snails are ravenous and will eat them all.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I've had several fish with different needs: blind (retina damage), swim bladder issues, 45° bend in spine (fry found in cannister filter). I would try to determine if there could be any physical reason for his behavior. We got some bala sharks once that were blind; their cloudy eyes were from flukes. We returned them and immediately treated the entire tank for parasites. :(

You might consider quarantining him even though he's already been in the community tank until you're sure it isn't something that can be spread. If it is parasites, there's a chance they haven't left the host so your other fish may be okay.

I also kept a bottle of clove oil on hand for when fish needed to be euthanized; it slowly numbs them. I didn't have the heart to let them suffer or to put them down by other means. If you have some, keep it in a ziploc inside a gladware; that stuff smells strongly if it leaks.

Good luck with your tank.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I had a special beta fish once. The little guy liked burying himself under heavy things and had issues swimming normally. He basically swam circles on his side near the top of the tank unless he felt like going to hide somewhere. He was also very tiny and just looked off proportionally.

I noticed he had issues finding his way out of things, like conch shells or things with only one way in and out. I'm not sure if goldfish like hiding in things too, but if they do, make sure your little buddy can get in and out easily. That was really the only thing I had to do for mine, besides checking in on him every so often.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Gosh, it was so many years ago!

For the blind fish (fantail goldfish) I had to move the plants away from the walls of the tank by his body width and spaced them that far apart so he couldn't get stuck. And I used both floating and sinking food so the other fish would feed at the surface so he could take his time finding the pellets on the bottom. We ended up getting a calico telescope later, then the fantail followed the calico around with his nose near the other's tail fin. We said the calico was his seeing eye fish. :)

For the one that was prone to swim bladder issues (an orange "black moor" lol), I always ran so many water tests just to make sure my levels weren't off. When he was stuck on the bottom, I'd feed floating food for the rest of the tank to fast him for a couple of days, then feed shelled, frozen (thawed) peas for a few days and epsom salt baths when the peas weren't enough. Usually after a week or so he'd poo & the issue would clear up again. When he was stuck at the top, I'd tie down or remove any floating plants if I had any at the time and make sure the others were at least a few inches from the top of the water. I fasted him for a couple days by feeding only the sinking food for the other fish, then after the fasting, I'd hand feed him the peas on a toothpick. Again epsom salt baths helped if the peas weren't enough. At the end, he was stuck at the top again, this time for a couple of weeks. Nothing worked. I ended up putting him in my breeder net so he didn't have to fight against the water. When he couldn't go under at all, I started applying vaseline to keep his back from drying out and I soaked his food first then hand fed him as he couldn't quite reach the surface with his mouth or the bottom of the net. That lasted only a few weeks until he finally passed.

As for my guppy fry with the broken back? He had no clue he was any different. He thought he was just the studliest thing in that whole tank! He certainly had the brightest colors and would wear himself out chasing the females. :laugh: He swam only slightly more slowly, but did tire out easily so I added more floating plants for him to rest on.

Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I'm not sure he'll make it through the night. He choked on one of the big pellets I feed the snails. I think I got most of it out of his throat but I'm not sure.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:fingerscrossed: Fingers crossed, little buddy. I hope you make it.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:sad14: Oh no! Poor fella. At least it was over quickly. You did everything that could be done for him.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
:sadhug2:
Thank you for doing your best to save him. I'm sorry for what happened to you and your little fishie.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I buried him.

I'm so sorry I couldn't do more for you.

Green Glofish (my special little boy) ????- April 24th, 2018

(he's under the rock and brick. We have cats around here and I don't want him to get dug up.)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for the loss of your fish.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month