1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Speaking of pumpkins....

Discussion in 'Comment Court' started by Mockinbirdiva, 9/24/18.

1. Mockinbirdiva

Mockinbirdiva Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Andrea
    I went to the grocery store today and the pumpkins have arrived! No.. I don't decorate for Halloween... I just wait for the little buggers to come to the door and throw candy at them... :lolsign: Kidding... I put the candy very nicely in their bowls so I don't get toilet papered!

Actually, I bought one of those pie pumpkins. It's not as big as the larger ones for carving. I'm wondering how or if any of you cook these for your fids. I looked for the ceylon cinnamon and can't find any locally. I did see the Saigon cinnamon but didn't buy it. I know some of you add some cinnamon to the foods you prepare for your birds but does it have to be a specific kind? I'm assuming so since the ceylon has been mentioned in older posts. I'm excited about cooking it and seeing if they like it!

Anybody have a recipe?

faislaq and TikiMyn like this.
  2. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor I Can't Stop Posting! BINGO CHAMPION POSTAHOLIC

Shawna
    Cinnamon – Ceylon Vs Cassia, Health Benefits, and Other Interesting Facts

I prefer Ceylon (usually in the organic section) but I am okay with Cassia. It's the Saigon I stay clear from!

I usually just buy the mini pumpkins and pop them in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, then chop off the top and use a fork to fluff the insides. I mix in my chop and serve everything inside the pumpkin!

3. Mockinbirdiva

Andrea
    I guess I'll have to find it in a specialty store then. The pie pumkin I bought is probably about 8 inches in diameter, maybe a bit less but probably much bigger than the ones you buy. I'll probably bake it and then scoop the inside out and bag and freeze it for servings along with their other dishes.

faislaq and TikiMyn like this.
  4. CrazyBirdChick

CrazyBirdChick Rollerblading along the road

Diane
    If you have a vitamin shoppe store in your area, they sell ceylon. That's where I get mine.

Vitamin Shoppe

faislaq, TikiMyn and Mockinbirdiva like this.
  5. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    faislaq, TikiMyn and Mockinbirdiva like this.
  6. Mockinbirdiva

Andrea
    Good to know about the differences in cinnamon.. it was an interesting read.

@CrowCall had a recipe she makes for dog treats and I would like to make some for my birds and try adding things to the recipe for a treat for my birds. Some cooked grains like quinoa, kamut, pumpkin in some, sweet potato in others, maybe some red lentils... IDK.. gotta think about it. Here's her recipe:

1 cup quick cook oats
    1/2 cup applesauce
    1 tablespoon cinnamon
    1 egg

Mix oats, applesauce, and cinnamon in large bowl. Add egg. Then just put them on parchment paper in the shapes you want. They don't change shape in the oven. Bake for around 12-15 minutes. They're great for walks because they are soft but don't crumble in your pocket!

faislaq, TikiMyn and Mizzely like this.
  7. Mockinbirdiva

Andrea
    rocky'smom and TikiMyn like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)