• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sparx laid a bloody egg!

Status
Not open for further replies.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I agree that blood on eggs is not normal but it happens occasionally, especially if the egg happens to be a bit larger than an egg that the bird would normally lay and a capillary broke as the egg was expelled. Egg size is not something that can be controlled by diet but having sufficient calcium, phosphorous and Vit D in the diet will help her lay her eggs without problems
-------------------------------------

If the shell was not totally hard or it was thin shelled this would cause some blood to be on an egg, especially with first time layers. When the shell is thin the surface of the egg in the uterus is chalky and will adhere the tissue to the surface. And as the egg expelled the area of the oviduct that was slightly ahherred may have bled a little.

Lex123

Rollerblading along the road
OMGosh!! I just seen this thread right now. I hope she is OK :)

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
I agree with John, it is not normal and even if the vet is closed I would call and leave a message for them to get in touch with you.

Ginger
Thank you. I called my regular vet, no answer. They don't even have a voice mail system, so I couldn't leave a message. :(

But I called the emergency vet and they said that as long as she is eating and drinking and acting normally, that there is no need for an examination. She said the blood must have just been a fluke.

Luckily, she is eating, drinking, and climbing around her cage normally.

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
It is "not" normal for an egg to have blood on it. Eggs should be clean, hard shelled and no blood. Call your vet and discuss it.

She needs calcium but it's also important that she gets proper proportions of phosphorus and vitamin D along with the calcium so that the calcium can be utilized properly. Your vet may be able to suggest a good "complete" supplement if that's what you are concerned about. You should only supplement upon your vets advice.
Thank you!!!

I called the emergency vet, and they said that as long as she is eating/drinking/acting normally, that I shouldn't bring her in. :/ And I can't get a hold of my regular vet to discuss the supplement :( :(

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
Well at least you know she's a girl for sure. :)
LOL! I had her DNA tested a while back because I wanted to know if I should expect THIS, thinking that if I knew she was female, I could prevent this. Alotta good that did me, huh!

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
I agree that blood on eggs is not normal but it happens occasionally, especially if the egg happens to be a bit larger than an egg that the bird would normally lay and a capillary broke as the egg was expelled. Egg size is not something that can be controlled by diet but having sufficient calcium, phosphorous and Vit D in the diet will help her lay her eggs without problems.

Fresh foods that are high in calcium include collard greens, broccoli, kale and figs. Fresh foods to avoid are spinach, parsley and chard. Those are high in oxalic acid that can bind usable calcium and make it unusable. Vit D is found in pellets, egg. Natural sunlight will cause the preen gland oil to turn to Vit D that birds benefit from when they preen their feathers.

Don't know that this helps at all but I thought I would offer the information, just in case.
Thank you SO MUCH!!! This helps a LOT! I have figs upstairs I can feed to her! And I will go get some broccoli and kale.

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe

-------------------------------------

If the shell was not totally hard or it was thin shelled this would cause some blood to be on an egg, especially with first time layers. When the shell is thin the surface of the egg in the uterus is chalky and will adhere the tissue to the surface. And as the egg expelled the area of the oviduct that was slightly ahherred may have bled a little.
Thank you! Shoot, I wish I didn't throw away the egg so soon... Would I know if it were thin by touching it? Or is that not something you can tell?

She should lay another tomorrow, and I am going to put towels underneath where she shoots them out, hopefully keep it from cracking so that she has some eggs and isn't triggered to lay more.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
on any of mine who had thin shell i was able to tell as soon as I picked it up, it was sort of doughy and even though i picked it up gently there were indents of where my fingers were

not sure if all are the same but the few my birds have laid were like that

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
on any of mine who had thin shell i was able to tell as soon as I picked it up, it was sort of doughy and even though i picked it up gently there were indents of where my fingers were

not sure if all are the same but the few my birds have laid were like that
Oooooooooooh! That is good to know, thank you! (That description reminds me of a snake/crocodile egg!)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thank you! Shoot, I wish I didn't throw away the egg so soon... Would I know if it were thin by touching it? Or is that not something you can tell?

She should lay another tomorrow, and I am going to put towels underneath where she shoots them out, hopefully keep it from cracking so that she has some eggs and isn't triggered to lay more.
Get yourself Some fakes for the future. They don't break or go bad and last forever.

Fake Bird Eggs

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
Is it normal for Sparx to only lay 1 egg? I assumed she would be laying and entire clutch. But she only laid that one egg on Friday, and I was expecting her to lay the second yesterday (Sunday). But she didn't.

She doesn't appear to be egg-bound, she is eating, drinking, playing, chirping, climbing normally.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
How is Sparx today?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's not unusual for them to lay only one egg. Especially if it's her very first one. It can take up to a week to lay another. Depends when and if she starts building another one. In the large birds it takes 3-4 days to actually build it.

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
It's not unusual for them to lay only one egg. Especially if it's her very first one. It can take up to a week to lay another. Depends when and if she starts building another one. In the large birds it takes 3-4 days to actually build it.
Oh, wow!!!! Thank you for the info!

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
How is Sparx today?
Sparx is great today! Thank you for asking. :)

She is acting totally normal, except she is still hanging out in that feeder. I don't want to stress her out by removing it. If she was already triggered to lay a clutch; I want her to at least be comfortable laying the eggs.

But on the other hand, I don't want to encourage her to lay a full clutch if she isn't going to..

So I think I'll leave it in, but this will be the feeder's last spring in her cage! I will be getting her a new feeder after this. One that doesn't resemble a nesting cavity! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.