• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sparx laid a bloody egg!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinderella

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chloe
I noticed that Sparx had been acting odd lately.

First off, she displayed EXCESSIVE CHEWING. She normally doesn't even chew on her soft wood toys, but she chewed a plastic cup holder to a pile of dust in less than a day!

Second, she had been.. having herself.. on her rope perch at LEAST once per week, that I saw.

And lastly, she took a SERIOUS liking to her food dish! She normally sleeps in her Avian Haven hut, but lately she's taken to sleeping INSIDE her food dish, which is very odd behavior for her. (She sometimes likes to sleep on the perch of her dish, but never INSIDE it)

So all of these things had me suspicious that she might lay eggs. But I was HOPING that I was just mistaken..

I came home from work today and saw a cracked egg on the grate of her cage! The yolk was in the bottom tray, and the shell was on the grate!

I am really concerned because there was blood on the shell!!! Is this normal!? I used to breed Budgies, and they NEVER had blood on their shells. They always came out perfectly white and clean. This is Sparx's very first time laying an egg, so I don't know if blood is normal for a first-time egg.

And it just figures that this happens on a Friday night, when my vet is now closed for the weekend. [I won't be able to get a hold of them until Tuesday!]

Here is Sparx nesting, I took this picture a few days ago and meant to post it, but forgot! :/

And here is her bloody eggshell:

Also, Sparx usually eats Harrison's Lifetime pellets, Nutri-Berries, Avicakes, Harrison's Power Treats, and dried fruits & veggies.

Is this enough nutrition to replenish the nutrients lost from laying eggs?

Sparx doesn't eat mineral block and cuttlebone, but I hung a big cuttlebone and a banana flavored mineral block in her cage, anyways. Oh- and I fed her Cream of Wheat today with cuttlebone shavings in it to trick her into getting at least some calcium.

I am SO worried about her becoming egg bound! PLEASE, SOMEONE TELL ME WHY HER EGG SHELL MIGHT HAVE BLOOD ON IT!

Last edited:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm pretty sure (but don't quote me) it's normal to have some blood on it, especially since it's her first egg. Her diet is great, so I don't think she will have any problems replenishing the nutrients.

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
I'm pretty sure (but don't quote me) it's normal to have some blood on it, especially since it's her first egg. Her diet is great, so I don't think she'll have any problems replenishing the nutrients.
Phew!!! Thank you so much! I am so relieved.

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
I'm sorry angie this is happening, :hug8:
i can't be of anyhelp here but i do hope this nothing serious and that sparx is in good health.
keeping you and sparx in my prayers
:hug8:

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
I'm sorry angie this is happening, :hug8:
i can't be of anyhelp here but i do hope this nothing serious and that sparx is in good health.
keeping you and sparx in my prayers
:hug8:
Thank you so much!!!! :hug8: I appreciate it! :)

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Gumbys 1st egg [ or at least 1st one that i know of since the ppl didn't know if she was male or female ] had a little blood on it, but every one since then [that was in july 2008] have not

but she only pleases her self once a week? :hehe: Gumby does it daily, for a very long time every time and she does it from the time she wakes up til she goes to bed all through the day

after her last egg several weeks ago she was also laying on a wooden wheel i use for their toys , she got bored with the egg and tossed it to the side, However she still sits on the wooden wheel and has been for close to a month , my b/f said wonder if shes pleasing her self on that too like she does everything else, I said I doubt it, she makes it well known when shes doing that the entire town has to hear her :rofl: well i was standing by her cage yesterday and she ran off to attack my b/f while he was feeding her, then she sat back on her "egg" and i glanced over and Guess what he was right she does please her self on it , that she does quiet , but every other time its loud lol

1parakeet

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessyca
Well, I don't have the same type of parakeet as you, but when Lily laid her first egg (the first egg I knew about, she was a rescue) it wasn't bloody. She's laid four eggs since then, and non of them have been bloody. I, however, have not done any research about egg laying and whether they're bloody or not, this is just my experience. She did nest in her food dish a lot, though, for a week or two while she was doing this, so that sounds normal as far as egg-behavior. . .

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Well, I don't have the same type of parakeet as you, but when Lily laid her first egg (the first egg I knew about, she was a rescue) it wasn't bloody. She's laid four eggs since then, and non of them have been bloody. I, however, have not done any research about egg laying and whether they're bloody or not, this is just my experience. She did nest in her food dish a lot, though, for a week or two while she was doing this, so that sounds normal as far as egg-behavior. . .

If you have a budgie, normally they don't have bloody eggs

but My lovebirds, Quaker (like i mentioned) a couple tiels and one conure have all had a bloody egg but nothing was wrong with them it was not a Huge amount of blood just a little bit Like in the picture posted here. some were even less - maybe it has something to do with the bigger bodies?

Oh and if she doesn't use a cuttle bone just scrape it in to her food, that way you know she's getting it , it also helps them to start using it as well.

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
Gumbys 1st egg [ or at least 1st one that i know of since the ppl didn't know if she was male or female ] had a little blood on it, but every one since then [that was in july 2008] have not

but she only pleases her self once a week? :hehe: Gumby does it daily, for a very long time every time and she does it from the time she wakes up til she goes to bed all through the day

after her last egg several weeks ago she was also laying on a wooden wheel i use for their toys , she got bored with the egg and tossed it to the side, However she still sits on the wooden wheel and has been for close to a month , my b/f said wonder if shes pleasing her self on that too like she does everything else, I said I doubt it, she makes it well known when shes doing that the entire town has to hear her :rofl: well i was standing by her cage yesterday and she ran off to attack my b/f while he was feeding her, then she sat back on her "egg" and i glanced over and Guess what he was right she does please her self on it , that she does quiet , but every other time its loud lol
Well, maybe I was under-exaggerating about how often sparx has been pleasing herself.. I think she is doing it daily, too! She was even doing it while I was cleaning her cage just now.. OMG! Gumby doesn't do it year round, does she???

LOL@GUMBY!! Sparx is quiet when she does it! She does this weird, breathy squeaky noise and puffs up to the size of a grapefruit, but that's it!

1parakeet

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessyca

but My lovebirds, Quaker (like i mentioned) a couple tiels and one conure have all had a bloody egg but nothing was wrong with them it was not a Huge amount of blood just a little bit Like in the picture posted here. some were even less - maybe it has something to do with the bigger bodies?

Oh and if she doesn't use a cuttle bone just scrape it in to her food, that way you know she's getting it , it also helps them to start using it as well.
Ah, I see. . . Well, like I said, I don't really know anything about egg laying. :D I don't breed, so Lily's eggs were dudes. :p

Yes, the cuttle bone thing is very reassuring that they're getting what they need. I did it with Lily and was calmed after it. Also, I think it's just fun to mix stuff into her food. :lol:'Cause I'm wierd like that. ^u^

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
Thank you! Is Lily a Budgie? I used to breed Budgies, and they, too, didn't bleed on their egg. Maybe it is just a bigger bird thing?? Hmm..

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe

PHEW! This is great to hear (that Sparx is normal). I did scrape some cuttlebone over her mashy food today, I will do it over her pellets, too.

Thank you soooo much, you guys! This is very reassuring.

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe

Ah, I see. . . Well, like I said, I don't really know anything about egg laying. :D I don't breed, so Lily's eggs were dudes. :p

Yes, the cuttle bone thing is very reassuring that they're getting what they need. I did it with Lily and was calmed after it. Also, I think it's just fun to mix stuff into her food. :lol:'Cause I'm wierd like that. ^u^
Hahahah! I am weird like that, too.. I like mixing foods!! I don't know why..

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
PHEW! This is great to hear (that Sparx is normal). I did scrape some cuttlebone over her mashy food today, I will do it over her pellets, too.

Thank you soooo much, you guys! This is very reassuring.

your welcome

I have a small storage container filled with Mineral block dust :rofl: that was not easy to do one of the pineapple shaped ones LOL we put it in a freezer bag, wraped a towel around it and beat it with a hammer :dance4:

we put it in their bird bread , they devour cuttle bones but hardly ever touch a mineral block so we give it to them that way, I used to put it into their food but i got a little annoyed with the yellow "chalk" dust all over my clothes lol from swirling it around with my finger

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It is "not" normal for an egg to have blood on it. Eggs should be clean, hard shelled and no blood. Call your vet and discuss it.

She needs calcium but it's also important that she gets proper proportions of phosphorus and vitamin D along with the calcium so that the calcium can be utilized properly. Your vet may be able to suggest a good "complete" supplement if that's what you are concerned about. You should only supplement upon your vets advice.

Last edited:

mtngirl

Sprinting down the street
I would recommend removing the box she is nesting in....You don't want to encourage egg-laying behavior, unless you are trying to breed her.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Well at least you know she's a girl for sure. :)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I agree with John, it is not normal and even if the vet is closed I would call and leave a message for them to get in touch with you.

Ginger

vmorrison

Meeting neighbors
I agree that blood on eggs is not normal but it happens occasionally, especially if the egg happens to be a bit larger than an egg that the bird would normally lay and a capillary broke as the egg was expelled. Egg size is not something that can be controlled by diet but having sufficient calcium, phosphorous and Vit D in the diet will help her lay her eggs without problems.

Fresh foods that are high in calcium include collard greens, broccoli, kale and figs. Fresh foods to avoid are spinach, parsley and chard. Those are high in oxalic acid that can bind usable calcium and make it unusable. Vit D is found in pellets, egg. Natural sunlight will cause the preen gland oil to turn to Vit D that birds benefit from when they preen their feathers.

Don't know that this helps at all but I thought I would offer the information, just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.