• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sparrow and Zebra finch

CharmeC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My sparrow T. rex was alone for the first year and half of his life. He liked to spend most of his time next to one of his mirror toys and either peck at his reflection relentlessly or do a fluffy courting dance. I thought he looked quite lonely but since it’s not like I can go out and buy or adopt a sparrow friend for him, I had thought about getting him a finch friend instead. I didn’t do that for a long time cause I was worried he might not get along with one.

Finally I took the plunge recently and brought home a female zebra finch that I named Nightingale (I didn’t realize she’d be SO SMOL in comparison to him until I got home). At first I tried letting him out and he kept going on top of her cage and seemed very interested. But later on when I tried introducing him into her cage, he was very aggressive and attacked her and I thought it wasn’t gonna work. Days later I tried again and he kept going on her cage again doing the fluffy dance. I let her out also and he didn’t chase her. So I let her move into his cage making sure to remove the mirror toys first to lessen aggression. At first he would peck her when she got close. I monitored them closely but he wasn’t actively chasing her in the cage or stopping her from accessing food and water. I observed she was comfortably grooming herself and eating heartily for the days that followed and that they indeed get along, he’s standing next to her peacefully at the food bowl as I am typing this.

T. rex sings less these days probably because he’s no longer trying to threaten his reflection in the mirrors. I hope he’s feeling happier with a live friend!

457D28A3-593B-4BBE-BE2C-4C1054AF3BD4.jpeg E6EF96D0-7E24-4FF9-825D-9F32C352E158.jpeg
85267983-DE72-436C-A908-98384D7BE21E.jpeg

Last edited:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
So glad they are getting along, despite the rough start with the intro! They are gorgeous. I had a friend over drinking coffee one morning and we were seeing small songbirds at my outside feeder. I saw a tiny little black and white bird with a pointy beak, and said 'that bird looks like a zebra'... then it dawned on me that he must be a zebra finch! (duhhh... LOL)!

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Oh wow what a lovely story to read. They are so cute together as companions. You have certainly done your homework and done everything with thought. Well done you. It is so rewarding when 2 birds get along and in this case 2 different species wow again :fairy:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Just be careful with having a finch with your house sparrow. House sparrows hate eachother and they do not like smaller birds. They are extremely territorial of their cage space and perches and will yank a zebra finch off her perch and dangle her and then drop her. My female house sparrow did this to all of the zebra finches or society finches if they got too close to her. I never housed her with them after I saw the abuse. Just a heads up cautionary warning.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They're so cute!