• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sparky the Budgie

jujube1209

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
We had an incident this weekend with my daughter's budgie. Apparently one of the doors to his cage wasn't latched, and he spent the day out of his cage while we weren't home. It appears that he landed on one of the other birds' cages, and they got a hold of his leg. It is broken in at least 2-3 places, and his toes have turned black on that leg. He is currently at the vet, and they will be amputating his leg. I've had a one legged finch before, but it has been a long time.

For those of you that have been there, done that with a one legged bird, what kinds of tips or tricks can you suggest? Or cage configurations or products? He's such a sweet little guy, almost 10 months old...I feel terrible for him, but I know he will adapt just fine.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
@Garet :) I would suggest lots of flat areas(think ladders and platform perches) to give his leg a rest. Also I would cover Some platforms in non pilling fleece to give his leg Some soft surfaces. Thick rope perches might work too.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Flat places to rest and wide perches definitely help. My one legged lovebird uses a large toy meant for macaws as a swing.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@Garet so you still have all those photos you can share? Pictures are worth a great deal.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would keep everything low and extra padded. Perhaps look into another cage if his current one doesn't accommodate his needs. What does his current set up look like?

Garet

Real Name
Garet
20180514_155519.jpg
It's kind of hard to see, but he had wicker dishes before he chewed them up. I replace them every 2 months with new ones and sometimes pin cup holders to the bars as well. The green thing is his swing. I've also given him an attic by attaching another cage over the door, but you need a cage that opens on top for that.

His cage is a rabbit hutch, but the bar spacing might be too big for your bird.

jujube1209

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
This is my cape parrot exploring (and wrecking :rofl:) Sparky's cage. It's one of the single level Hagen Vision cages. Luckily the food and water are already on the floor. I don't have very many good pictures of Sparky because he doesn't hold still long enough for a picture! I have lots of videos though of him talking and making all kinds of noises. The other picture is Saturday night when this happened. :sad10:

IMG_6885.JPG

Sparky.jpg

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is my cape parrot exploring (and wrecking :rofl:) Sparky's cage. It's one of the single level Hagen Vision cages. Luckily the food and water are already on the floor. I don't have very many good pictures of Sparky because he doesn't hold still long enough for a picture! I have lots of videos though of him talking and making all kinds of noises. The other picture is Saturday night when this happened. :sad10:

View attachment 286343

View attachment 286344
Looks like you already have a great setup but you might want to add fleece to any area in the cage where Sparky will rest, and get around, so he doesn't irritate his skin

Garet

Real Name
Garet
You could also get platforms. Tbh, my mister pegleg really doesn't seem to notice anything's different. He adapted to moving around with one leg pretty much the moment his cone came off.

IMG_20180919_185843718~3.jpg
Also I highly recommend slinkies. My little fluffs adore napping in them.