• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SOS! I made a mistake...

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
SOS!
I did something stupid. I have a huge mouse issue in Dexter's room, and I just saw one eating out of Dexter's food bowl. I sprayed peppermint oil spray all around his cage (after reading that it was safe a round pets) and then googled if it was safe. It's not, because of the fumes. I know I need to get Dexter out of the room, but for how long? It is late at night, an hour past his bedtime. There are no windows in the room, but I set up a fan to air it out quicker.
Yes, I realize that this was a dumb move. Can you guys help?

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Mice are a giant pain for such a little animal! I look forward to hearing the answers as peppermint oil seems like it would clear and re-appear as it is an oil. I know I have used a product called Odor Mute to neutralize smells in the past, worked wonders on a cat issue I had for a bit. google shows it available at target..

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Can you still smell it? I would think after the smell has gone you are safe. If it was on any surface, clean that (table, floor etc).

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Can you still smell it? I would think after the smell has gone you are safe. If it was on any surface, clean that (table, floor etc).
wash everything with vinegar /water and wait at least 48 hours

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Update: the smell is completely gone after waiting overnight. I'll wait to put Dexter back until bedtime, just in case I got used to it.