• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sore foot after nail trimming

Meeting neighbors
This morning I had my budgie’s nails trimmed. I didn’t watch unfortunately, they took him into a back room. When they were done the vet tech mention that they had a hard time trimming his nails. When I got him home I noticed that he was lifting his right foot up and not putting weight on it. He will put weight on it for a short period of time but then pulls it back up again and stands on one leg. There is no visible injury to the nails or the foot. He is singing, playing a bit, and eating normally, but stopping often to rest his foot. I am hesitant to go back to see the vet because they told me over the phone there is probably not much they can do. Obviously I will not be going back there. Although they have trimmed his nails on several occasions without a problem. I wondered if anyone had a similar experience and if it took some time for the bird to heal. I feel so badly that he got hurt by a careless tech. Thanks in advance for any advice.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are the nails short? If they cut the quick - which can easily happen, it can make it tender for awhile. I would just watch to make sure there's no swelling, bleeding, etc. My 'too just got his nails trimmed on Monday and he's fallen off his perch twice. I feel so bad. His back nails are a little shorter than normal and I think it's throwing off his grip. Sigh.

Meeting neighbors
His nails are not too short. I have looked carefully at his foot in there doesn’t appear to be any swelling or discoloration. If he really wants to do something he can use his foot but it’s obvious that he is favoring it and trying to keep the weight off of it. Good luck with your bird.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sometimes the foot can get a bit irritated with handling and with the trimming process. Monitor the foot and if you don't see any improvement be sure to contact the vet. Hope all will be well.

Meeting neighbors
I wonder if it is better to let him rest by taking away some of the toys he is limping along trying to play with, or if it is better to let him play so that whatever is wrong can heal? Tough little guy.